This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve covers

Hey, did studebaker put their name on chevy valve covers when they installed chevy engines in their cars? I want to put a 350 chevy in my 53 truck, take out the olds 350 and have it look sorta stock. And where can I get said valve covers?

No, they never had any special valve covers for the McKinnon (Chevy) engines. Just the plain smooth Chevy valve covers with a decal. The decal is still available if you want to go down that road. I personally would keep the Olds motor, it's a better engine IMHO.

nate

--
    62 Daytona hartop
    64 Daytona convertible (in boxes)
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Forgot to mention, I think it was Jeff Rice that actually put a set of the Offenhauser-style aftermarket Stude valve covers on a SBC? Apparently the Stude V-8 valve covers are very close to the new style Chevy center bolt valve covers. I disremember what all he had to do to make it work though.

nate

--
      62 Daytona hartop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

A lot of Chevy guys have their sbc aluminum covers CNC machined to show a Studebaker logo or script. Studebaker never stamped anything on their 'McKinnon' engine parts, though.

I built a set of adapters to put the aftermarket Stude valve covers on an engine of mine. I can build you a set if you'd like.
        Look at the web link on my tag line and find the valve cover project photo page. Pretty self explanitory. Thanks for posting!
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Hey, did studebaker put their name on chevy valve covers when they installed chevy engines in their cars? I want to put a 350 chevy in my 53 truck, take out the olds 350 and have it look sorta stock. And where can I get said valve covers?
        DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
        '61 Hawk
        '37 Coupe Express
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

A lot of Chevy guys have their sbc aluminum covers CNC machined to show a Studebaker logo or script. Studebaker never stamped anything on their 'McKinnon' engine parts, though.

I built a set of adapters to put the aftermarket Stude valve covers on an engine of mine. I can build you a set if you'd like.
          Look at the web link on my tag line and find the valve cover project photo page. Pretty self explanitory. Thanks for posting!
          Jeff[8D]
          Hey, where did you get those nice Studebaker logo aluminum valve covers?? dclewallen

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

'61 Hawk
          '37 Coupe Express
          Darryl C. Lewallen
          Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Ted Harbit and SASCO both had the Stude aluminum valve covers last time I checked. Guy named Darryl something made some really sweet ones with the "Studebaker" name in script not block letters a year or two ago but I don't know if he's ever made another run of them.

Alternately, I have a pair of the Offenhauser ones if you are interested in those. Was going to put them on my '62 before I decided I was selling it.

nate

--
            62 Daytona hartop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

You can buy 'Offenhauser' 4 bolt valve covers on Ebay most of the time. They are still being made.

You can buy STUDEBAKER (block letter script) 2 bolt ('60 and newer), and 4 bolt ('60 and earlier) both with and without breather stcks from a couple of sources. I'll try to find them. Maybe it was Lionel Stone, or Stude Int'l. Or just buy Nate's <g>...
              If you do get the one's with the breather stacks, be aware that chrome or polished aluminum push on breathers are almost non existant for them any more. You'd be better off to get the one's without the breather stacks and machine the valve covers to accept a later model rubber donut push in style breather. Then you can choose from a lot of styles...with and without a pcv valve, which would be a good addition to help clean up the engine.
              I have an extra pair of those cursive script valve covers, but they are 2 bolt and have no breather provisions.

Hope the info helps.
              Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by dclewallen
              Hey, where did you get those nice Studebaker logo aluminum valve covers?? dclewallen

'61 Hawk
              '37 Coupe Express

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Nate,
                That guys name is Daryl Lahr. I bought a pair from him a while back. He said at that time he was changing casting companies, and had no more valve covers to sell. That was quite some time ago, so things may have changed. I 'heard' several people had problems with those valve covers in regards to them hitting on the rocker adjusting nuts. I can't comment on this because mine have never been put on anything....but..... Rick Courtier has a set of 'original' valve covers like these, and his needed grinding on the inside to clear the adjuster nuts too. So I wonder about those 'reports'.
                Anyways, Daryl's info is:
                Daryl Lahr
                PO Box 171
                Warren, IN 46792
                219-375-4151

Hope the info helps.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Ted Harbit and SASCO both had the Stude aluminum valve covers last time I checked. Guy named Darryl something made some really sweet ones with the "Studebaker" name in script not block letters a year or two ago but I don't know if he's ever made another run of them.

Alternately, I have a pair of the Offenhauser ones if you are interested in those. Was going to put them on my '62 before I decided I was selling it.

nate

--
                62 Daytona hartop
                '61 Hawk
                '37 Coupe Express

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

thanks for the info... I ASSume he will be at York in the spring like every year but as of right now I don't need valve covers for anything, the convertible I bought from Skip has some decent looking R1 covers. But if anyone else is curious about them I can certainly ask (I will definitely be there, I didn't take the vacation time I was planning on the past couple weeks so I need to use it before the end of March)

nate

--
                  62 Daytona hartop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                  X