This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end swaps

my 50 champ has a rear end that is 56 inches across (hub to hub)
    does any one know of another make or model rear end that is narrower than this. i know a s-10 rear end is 55 but i need 54 or less
    in order to run my 15x8 welds with my current choice of tire

bolt pattern is not of importance cause i work in a machine shop and redrilling is not a problem

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I'd look for an old Ford wagon, a Fairlane or something like that. It usually has a 9 inch under it.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I just went thru the bone yard day before yesterday.

I found the Pinto/Maverick/Mustang II's all had 4 lug axles (no high HP models I guess) so never measured them.

I also checked the Jeep Cherokee Laredo, S-10, Ranger, Dakota, Mustang, Camaro, Lincoln LSC, and this is what I found.

The Camaro, and LSC were 61-62" (or so). I liked the LSC, Lincoln continental's performance model with a blower from the turn of the 90's. It's a Ford 9" with disc brakes and a posi. This'll be going in my junkyard reclamation '54 Conestoga Wagon. I got it for 39.99 + core. [8D]

I'll get the wheels special to fit under my sheetmetal after it's all bolted up. For me I wanted the stoutest axle I could find in a 'general' size.

I like the salt disc look anyway so a big negative offset is no problem for me. That and I won't be using monster rubber...just good handling stuff for everyday type driving. I wanted a stout rearend as I plan to put around 300-350 HP thru it...eventually...

The rest were all around 54-56". The S-10 you know about...

The Ranger p/u was the shortest, I believe, but had the smallest brakes. It did have a 5 lug pattern.

The Laredo is pretty much almost a bolt in with the springs and dimensions being the closest to my '54 wagon and it had some very substantial drum brakes.

The Dodge Ram/Dakota had the same dimensions as the Jeep but in a 6 lug pattern. It had the biggest drum brakes and was what looked like a Toyota truck axle housing.

Sorry for no 'concrete' numbers, but this may give you some ideas and help others looking to re-axle their Stude with newer components.

Wheels down, shiney side up, drive it like you stole it!

Comment

the 62-64 novas had narrow rears with the heavy duty 55-64 fullsize centers, and the mustang II's had narrow ford eights in em.

Comment

Working...
        X