This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Champ pickups only?

Here is a shot of my Uncle's 5E7 Champ pickup.

Anyone know if these three slots are 1960 only? Did it carry over to 1961? Anyone know why they are there in the first place? My 62 is smooth in this area as are the 63s and 64s around these parts.

Someone on the Studebaker Truck page theorized it could have been for body pickup but I am sure when the bodies went on the chassis they were probably picked up like the cars - by the door openings.

Thanks

My 7E7 - Restored by my Uncle Denson in 1995

Is the truck early enough that it had "Studebaker" script on the doors or "Champ?"
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

With reference to your ' 60's 3 indentions over the back window.....I also own a 60 Champ " Fried Green Tomato" ( nickname ) , At the South Bend International meet in 2002 a old fellow was looking at my truck while I was cleaning it up and commented on that it was a nice 1960 Champ , I asked how he knew it was a 60 and he commented on those 3 indents over the window and they were only on 1960 trucks. He then asked me if I knew why they were there and I just figured they were a design thing. He told me that they had to do with the body drop of the cab and that changed in 1961 so they were only on the one year. Now I don't know how true this is the old guy could have been "nuts" for all I know but one thing I learned is that those 3 indents are only on the 1960 model and thats one of the first things I look for when I see a stepside box on a Champ.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Is the truck early enough that it had "Studebaker" script on the doors or "Champ?"
        My 7E7 - Restored by my Uncle Denson in 1995

Comment

Working...
        X