This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McPherson College and Hoses

Hey guys my name is Jay Derbidge. I am 24 and have been involved with Studebakers as long as I can remember. I am currently attending school at McPherson College in McPherson Kansas. I was very happy to hear that SDC donated a large amount of money to our school and I think that they are going to bye tools (we need badly) with it.

For any of you who will read this McPherson College is the only college in the nation to offer a bachlors degree in auto restoration. I will finish up my degree in May of 2005 and will go to work for my father on his many Studebakers.

Right now I am restoring a 63 Diesel that we picked up last fall. The chassis is all complete and the engine and transmissions are in. We added a 3 speed brown lipe to give us a little more options. We also changed the engine to a turbo to give us more power. If any one has ever driven a truck with a 4-53 detroit then you know you need all the power you can get. We kept the orgional engine intact so we could always put the back to Numbers Matching with no trouble at all. I can email some pics if anyone would like to see it in the process of restoration.

My question for you guys today is if anyone has the numbers for the raditor hoses for the diesel trucks. I have th Studebaker #s but they are no help to the part stores. I am also looking for contact information for Jim Maxey. Thanks for your help.

We are having a car show the first saturday in May and I am hoping to have a strong Studebaker showing. Lastyear we only had 2 so I am personally inviting all of you who would like to come and tour the school and have a great time to join. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Jay Derbidge

Jay, Real good to hear from you. We could use your expertise here with us old duffers![:0]
    I got out my old Dayco catalog and while it DOES list the diesel trucks from Studebaker, the part numbers are blank. They DO show a universal flex hose that can be used for an upper hose but I'm certain that's not what you'd hoped for.
    This book DOES have some numbers for belts if you need that. But under "formed radiator hoses, it just says N/A.
    Tell us what sort of Studes your dad has. E-mail Sonny some photos of your truck project. He can put them on his site so we can all drool.[]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jay,

You might run into some luck by just trying various hoses from the parts store.

The upper hose on my 7E was found by grabbing a couple that looked close and holding them up the where the hoses went. Had to cut off a couple of inches on one end but it looks like it was made for the application.

Good luck.

My 7E7 - Restored by my Uncle Denson in 1995

Comment

That's not a bad approach. It depends on the store and the willingness of the person at the counter. If they have no issues with you poking thru their stock of hoses, you can usually find something that looks like it belongs on your Stude. Or, if the counter guy is willing, he'll look for you. Frankly, I'd rather have to do a bit of surgery and use a newly made hose than some thing that's been around for years - waiting to be called to service while it's drying out![^]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome Jay! I'm jealous, college for auto restorations? Sweet! Hell, I gotta admit, my ol' Studebakers are STILL giving me an education! [8] Lessee, it's only taken me about, oh, 40 years to get to the capability of REALLY being able to screw something up! [)] Oh well, you know what they say about an ol' dog.....

Anyway, I know that you younger fellas are getting into old cars at a great time, lots of repo parts, new body and paint technologies, awesome specialized tools, it's just plain awesome. I remember when the only "bucket" seat available was out of a Volkswagen, and as funny as it sounds now, we coveted a pair of those ugly, uncomfortable old seats. The handiest piece of equipment in the shop was your torch set, (junk yards back then would let you wander around all day long, WITH your own torches), and a "lead sled" was FULL of body lead!

Yep, it suuure has changed. I just watched my brother GLUE a set of full rear quarters on my nephew's '69 Camaro, and man-o-man what a beautiful job, fast, easy and NO warping. Then, to finish to car, all my nephew had to do was just make a run to "Camaro Specialties" for every, single, little thing he needed, right down to the "correct" screws! It don't get no better.

Again, welcome Jay, and keep us right up to date on all those Stude projects will ya? I'm looking forward to hearing about how they go. Thanks.

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Welcome Jay. As you may know, McPherson has several graduates that are working full time on Studebakers as their occupation. One that comes to mind is John McCall. I have contact information for Jim Maxey, but don't feel that it is proper to post it here.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So others know - I sent the Maxey info to him off the forum.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Studegary where did you send that information too? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks again

Comment

Hi, Jay & other SDC'rs - I don't think that the money is "in the bank" just yet from the SDC. There is a movement that is trying to get the SDC members to fund a program at McPherson. If anyone knows better - please let the rest of know! Thanks, Chris Pile
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Jay whats a Brown Lipe??
                    Some kind of auxilliary transmission I know but got any more information on them?? Looking for some way to add some higher gears(lower numerically) to my 8E28 . It has a HD 4 spd and a 6.2 rear ratio.

A NP 540 5 spd OD would help but they're expensive and rare to boot.

Comment

A Browne Lipe Trans is a seperate box. Like a divorced transfer case is on a 4x4. The hardest part is working out the shifting linkage. To do that you need what I call a "mixing stick". Thats not the correct term. The ratio in the high range is .79. So it should help a lot. Brown Lipe was the manufacture of most of the transmissions, but you should be able to find one that would work. Hope that helped.

Comment

Working...
                      X