PDA

View Full Version : US 6 or M series cab wanted

jonjeep
12-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi, I am a new member to the forum. Love Studebakers. My family owned a 1960 Lark 6. I recently acquired a US6 military truck. The cab is very badly rusted out. I am looking for a replacement cab for it in the western US. As complete as possible. Thanks, Jon S.

US6 owner

Sonny
12-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Welcome Jon, glad that you found us and joined us here. There's a surprising number of SDC fellas into the US-6 military trucks. I'm sure if they see this they'll have something for ya. Once again, welcome and keep us posted on the progress with your US6 will ya?

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

62Daytona
12-05-2004, 01:46 AM
A US6 was given to me by the owner of a museum in Nevada. I have not started collecting parts for it yet but if I find one I will let you know. There is a club in California I know of. The Military Vehicle Collectors of California. If you contact them they might have a member that has some extra parts. You can e-mail me for more info.

Roscomacaw
12-05-2004, 01:47 PM
There was/is one near me here in central California. I've not been able to relocate it since I saw it a few years ago but I just KNOW it's serving on a local farm around here.
When I got to see it, it was for sale but was out of my price range. It had a well-drilling rig on the back of it and that's basically what set the price of $2K. I know it sold to a farm but the seller wouldn't reveal which farm. He felt he'd be intruding on the buyer's privacy and I respect that.[|)]

Miscreant at large.

gordr
12-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Hello Jon,

I have a US6. They are indeed neat trucks. I have a spare civilian M cab, but it is moderately rusty.

I did come across a really solid M16 1.5 ton grain truck in Dutton, Montana (north of Great Falls). I think it'd sell quite reasonable, but it's almost too nice to part out. More of a builder.

You can get good repro manuals from Portrayal Press, <www.portrayal.com> I think. Also, if you have a good magazine store near you, look for Military Vehicles Magazine, a Krause Publication. Not a lot of US6 information in there, but plenty of useful information, nevertheless.

Feel free to e-mail me for pics of my truck, or just to talk US6.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Oldcals
12-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi Jon, I have the cab off of an M16 sitting behind my shop but it will soon be missing the firewall engine indentation that will be going to my M5. The corners are rusted out but other than that it is pretty solid. If you still need it I am in Northern Calif. (Redding). Email me if you want it, fredwcook(at)aol(dot)com.

Fred

jonjeep
12-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post!!!:D. I'm was not sure how the US6 is viewed by regular Studebaker people. There is very little info about the US6. I'm still trying to determine how many US6 6x6 vehicles were left in the US after WW2. Production figures for the 6x6 model w and w/o winch are a little over 105,000 and Lend-Lease documents state that over 104,000 were shipped to Russia and other countries.(1200+ to Australia) Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm figuring only 450+ US6 6x6 w and w/o winch left in the US after WW2! Considering the brutal usage of these vehicle in the 60 years since, I would think that there are not many left at all. Maybe a Studebaker historian has better info on this. Thanks to everyone, Jon S.

US6 owner