PDA

View Full Version : Stude truck still at work!

Mr.Biggs
12-03-2004, 05:25 PM
I got a call yesterday, from a fella in Merced California. That's about 90 miles or so to the north of where I live.
Fella started in asking if I was the guy he'd been told about that had Studebaker parts. Naturally, I confessed.
Then he got right to the point about how he was in need of a camshaft for a Stude 259. Seems as how the aluminum cam gear that was in his truck's engine had decided to fold over a tooth. This meant that SOMETHING had to give and so the nose of the cam snapped off clean - right across the face of the front bearing journal! Yeowch! And this is the second time I've seen this failure in a Stude truck.
Anyway, I did have a cam to spare and after a bit of chat, he realized that he and I had met in June of '03. As it happened, when I was on my way home from the Sacto meet, I stopped in Merced to get some refreshments. Imagine my surprize when I pull in to this little market and find a 60 Transtar delivering dairy products to the place![:0] Turns out this guy has been using this Stude to run his Dairy route since 1978. And it had been used since NEW to do this job before he bought the route and truck and all.
He went on to tell that he'd just switched milk companies in the past weeks and that the new milk company was delighted at the prospect of having a vintage truck delivering their goods. Too cool.
In fact, they took the truck in and spent 2 weeks doing paint and body work to it so it would match the colors of their "fleet". I'm hoping he's gonna send me a picture I can share here, of the truck in it's new red, white an blue hues. When I get the pic, I'll share it. Meanwhile, Keith just keeps on supplyin' his customers with dairy goods in his hard-workin' Studebaker truck![^]

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
12-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Great story Bob. Hell, I wish that we could even have the opportunity to drive our Studes all year round here. Mine are bundled up and tucked away for the next few months, first snow, (2-3 inches), last night. [xx(]........

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Roscomacaw
12-03-2004, 06:27 PM
You know Sonny, we've discussed this before. Even tho I grew up in "snow country" (Michigan), there's no way I'd put up with the long, frigid nights - the seemingly endless gray days and the fact that if you want something other than a perforated Stude to drive, ya got's to put 'em up for the winter. Fooey on that biz! Even the southeast, with it's humidity was preferable to the snow belt. I lived in Georgia for 14 years.
I love the upper half of this country in the summer. It's gorgeous. But come October at the latest, I adopt a suthern draul.;)

Miscreant at large.

arkiejazz
12-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Gosh , Bob....I can't stand it!!! Go take the pictures!!!! He might forget to send them. Is it a one ton?

steve blake

Roscomacaw
12-05-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm waiting for fotos, Steve. And it's a 1&1/2ton, I'm sure. I'll dig up an earlier pic I took of it in '03. Stay tuned.[:p]

Miscreant at large.