This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-speed conversion

I wish to install a T-5 [mustang] transmission into my 53 Commander which currently has a 232 V-8 and 3-speed O/D trans. .I'm looking for a bellhousing for a V-8 Stude. engine so I can do all the modifications to it and then just swap everything at once with the least amount of downtime. What part #,car application,late model etc. would be the best choice for doing this to give me the least problems and allow me to use the best and more commonly available clutch/pressure plate, throwout bearing setup. Thanks for any input,dclewallen,[?] dclewallen@alltel.net

Darryl C. Lewallen

Whew! You must have a BUNCH of pent up energy Darryl! [^] I haven't heard of anyone doing a five speed in their Stude, but I think that I've seen somewhere that someone has done a later model Ford tranny switch. It was a while ago and I'll be danged if I can remember who it was. I'll try to backtrack, mebbe I can scare up who it was, but I can't promise anything. Please keep us updated on your progress with this swap. Thanks in advance.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Darryl, check this link:

this is on the tech pages on this site. The t-5 swap has been done, and I'm considering it myself. Be assured, however, that you will still have to dial in your bellhousing, so just popping the old one out and popping the new one in is not as easy as it sounds. Also, the early bellhousing in your 53 has too small a hole for the transmission to pass thru. I've heard that the pickup truck bellhousing is the best one to get, requiring the least modification, altho the 56-64 car bellhousing can be made to work. The early bellhousing that you have can be made to work also, but it requires more modification to do it. If you use the bellhousing that was matched to the engine block at the factory, you can skip the dial in procedure. DD covers the basics of the clutch and tranny install in one of his books. Good luck, keep me posted. If you do it, let me know, I might do it too!

Comment

Darryl,
        Several folks have developed proceedures to adapt 5-spds to Studes. Whacker gave a good link to one set of instructions. I know of a couple more conversions where guys did such thru trial and error. Sadly, I can't provide links to them either via the net or otherwise.
        If you decide you want to proceed and need another bellhousing - from a truck or later car - I have some I'd part with. As Whacker said tho, if you use a BH other than the one the engine was originally fitted with, you're gonna have to go thru the dial-in proceedure as called out in the shop manual.[:0]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Darryl,
          Several folks have developed proceedures to adapt 5-spds to Studes. Whacker gave a good link to one set of instructions. I know of a couple more conversions where guys did such thru trial and error. Sadly, I can't provide links to them either via the net or otherwise.
          If you decide you want to proceed and need another bellhousing - from a truck or later car - I have some I'd part with. As Whacker said tho, if you use a BH other than the one the engine was originally fitted with, you're gonna have to go thru the dial-in proceedure as called out in the shop manual.[:0]

Miscreant at large.
          Darryl C. Lewallen
          Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, I've seen a couple of web sites including the info on this one reguarding the 5-speed swap,[http://members.tripod.com/ctchenderson/id18.htm is a good one].I read somewhere that the later Studebaker [non Chevy] bellhousings could accept an 11" clutch? As far as indicating in the bellhousing and machining required I work in a machine shop so that would'nt be a problem. And no I don't have any pentup energy I just want to make a cool daily driver. I've already replaced the stock Stude. rearend with one from a 93 Ford Ranger pickup, the only problem was the 3.08 gear in the Ford replacing the 4.55 Stude. gearing. I'm swapping the 3.08 for a 4.11 which I hope can live happily behind the 5-speed. If you have a bellhousing that might be what I,m looking for please let me know as this swap will make a good cold weather project. Thanks again for all replies and help, dcewallen, dclewallen@alltel.net

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

The cursed purple hawk (modified stude 289) has the T-5 trans with a 4/11 ratio 9"rear end and it works out as a real nice combination. I would difinitly recommend it if you want a standard with overdrive. I've also talked with a person that did the 700r4 (or 200r4) conversion and he really liked that as well.

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Darryle-A few suggestions on the 5-speed swap. Go with the truck bellhousing and use a Ford Borg warner T5 as opposed to the GM version. The Ford version will bolt up to the truck bellhousing without modification. Then turn down the diameter of the bearing retainer mounting base so that it fits into the smaller diameter hole of the Stude bellhousing per Pete's article found on the SDC site. Also if buying a used T5 be sure to buy either the heavy duty motorsport version or look for one from a '90-'91 V8 Mustang. These trannies have a higher torque ratings with better bushings than other years models. I bought one out of a '91 Mustang GT that had been wrecked with 70K miles for $500. I have not yet performed the swap on my R-1 powered '54 Commander project, but have managed to get most of the parts together for mock-up. Good luck-Will

Here is a link w/specs and part #'s for T-5's:

Comment

Another suggestion. You might want to consider using the Avanti/Golden Hawk motor mounts as they are shorter than the stock V8 mounts. These along with a modified rear mount would help lower the drivetrain thus avoiding driveshaft clearance issues as well as helping to lower the T-5 shifter which sits a few inches taller than stock.

Comment

We kept having problems with broken Stude motor mounts so I finally bought some urethane stock from this company http://www.gallaghercorp.com and made my own. Over 7,000 miles and no sagging or broken mounts.
                    Had them to drill the stock out to size and then I put a bolt all the way thru the urethane into the frame mount and motor braket. You can do the same with the stock mounts but they still won't hold up as well as these. Don't remember the exact cost but it was very cheap. The Gallagher corp was very helpful when I explained what I was doing.
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Could anyone tell me what year or years of Studebaker truck bell housings would be the best choice for this swap and who out there might have one for sale? Thank for all the information, Darryl C. lewallen, dclewallen@alltel.net

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dclewallen

Could anyone tell me what year or years of Studebaker truck bell housings would be the best choice for this swap and who out there might have one for sale? Thank for all the information, Darryl C. lewallen, dclewallen@alltel.net

Darryl C. Lewallen
                        A little addition to this thread from Darryl, from my chat site. I'm hoping Will, Kerry or StudeBob can answer this one, I have almost zero truck knowledge, sorry 'bout that Darryl...

"................I need to tell the fellow I'm buying it from what size truck, what year and what type of trans."

Sonny
                        Sonny
                        http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Hey Darryl
                          Check this guys website.
                          Speed Gems is a manufacturer and supplier of transmission adapters that allow the custom car builder to use a variety of engine and transmission combinations. These Kits are Proudly Produced in the U.S.A.!

He says the kit can be used for auto or 5 spd manual trannies
                          to give him a call.
                          I found it while researching TKO-500/600 trannies.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Hey Darryl
                            Check this guys website.
                            Speed Gems is a manufacturer and supplier of transmission adapters that allow the custom car builder to use a variety of engine and transmission combinations. These Kits are Proudly Produced in the U.S.A.!

He says the kit can be used for auto or 5 spd manual trannies
                            to give him a call.
                            I found it while researching TKO-500/600 trannies.
                            Transtar, I've kinda already put the cart before the horse and bought a T-5 Ford type transmission so thats what I plan touse, The kits seem nice but the prices are a little rich ,but thanks anyway for the info, Darryl C. Lewallen, P.S. I might have found a truck bell housing I can use from one of the guys that responded to my question, Sure hope this one pans out.

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

I've got a truck bellhousing too, if the other one doesn't come thru.

Miscreant at large.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X