This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column removal

I have removed all the body bolts, brake line, wiring and everything else between the body and the frame on my V-8 1966 Daytona with power steering but the steering column is giving me the fits! According to the shop manual, after I remove the steering wheel and tube, I should unbolt it from the frame, turn it upside down and pull it into the vehicle. My measurements indicate it will not fit through the firewall hole. I have thought of lifting the body off on a backward and upward angle so the steering column could stay attached to the frame but worry that I could harm something other then my back. Does anyone know the solution to this dilemma? Thanx yo-dt

What points are you measuring to that leads you to believe you can't do it as the book says? For that matter, what keeps you from jacking up the front of the car a bit and extracting it out the bottom???[?]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think if you remove the collar and seal around that hole you should be able to pull it through into the vehicle. Removing the front seat will probably be helpful. I know I've done this before but I am forgetting all the details. Probably having two people would help too.

If you're doing a body off why not wait until you have the front clip off and then just pull the steering column out of the body to the front?

good luck

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Now why did I not think of that! I have the front end off, interior is out and it is up on stands, I will drop the column down as opposed to bringing it through the firewall. Geez, you guys are good! yo-dt

Comment

Trust me - after 31 years of playin' Studebaker, I still sometimes can't see the obvious when it's right in front of me. There's just those times when a different pair of eyes sees things from an alternate vantage point. I sometimes grumble at myself once I've recognized I did something the hard way but to put a positive spin on it, I know it's a lesson WELL learned for the next time!

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey Miscreant, do you think I can get the steering arm off the steering box with the Chevy V-8 engine still bolted to the frame? It looks like if I unbolt the steering box from the frame I could twist the unit to get at the arm with a puller after I remove the nut? What do you think?

yo-dt

Comment

Working...
            X