I keep reading where axels are breaking on older studes
what about the 62 larks
mine is a v8 w/od i have no idea about the rear end ratio is ,
or any part of it.
thanks
John

Transtar60
11-22-2004, 06:44 PM
I believe the concern is overblown . I have been driving Studes with tapered axles(the kind used prior to mid-1965)for 30 years and have never expierenced a broken axle. The only time I ever saw one was at SB 2002 when a 55 Coupe "got on it" at the drag strip. Unless you are getting on it every day, it may never be a problem.

Sonny
11-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm with you Charlie, the "fear" is waaaaay over-blown. I know for sure that Ted Harbit drag raced his '51, had HUGE horsepower and I don't think he ever broke one. I know he's bent them from the strain. I've been beating the snot right out of my Lark, and not one problem. I think out of all the Studebakers made, you may find a few that had axle failures, but I wonder if wasn't because of incorrect/nonexistent maintainence. In any event, *usually*, axles give fair warning before they fail. The only axle that I ever had fail was a '55 Dodge panel truck that I was daily driving. It has exactly the same, tapered axle setup, as Studebaker, and it was all my fault, I figured that I could get ONE more trip to work and back home before it failed completely, no dice. :)

Don't even think twice about driving your Studebaker because of the "OMG" stories. Give it good preventive maintainence, right by the service manual, and just enjoy........

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

lvanw
11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
okay thanks
that was my opinion also
John

MarkC
11-22-2004, 09:50 PM
In addition to what's already been said about the axles, I'd add only a comment on the differentials.

Basically, two different axle assemblies were used on the later V8 cars, the model 27 on the 259 V8's (and shared with the sixes), and the (much stronger) model 44 on the 289's. I have a 259 car with a model 27, 3:08, and Flightomatic. I believe most 3spd w/OD 259 V8's got the 3:73 model 27. While the model 27 isn't terribly robust, it will handle even a mildly modified 259 and be fine (unless it's seen signigicant trailer towing duty). The model 44's used on the larger V8 cars are really stout and hold up fine even on modified and "R" series engined cars. I doubt that you'll have any problems with your '62.

Good luck and take care.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
Working in Spokane, WA

studebk
11-26-2004, 10:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

I believe the concern is overblown . I have been driving Studes with tapered axles(the kind used prior to mid-1965)for 30 years and have never expierenced a broken axle. The only time I ever saw one was at SB 2002 when a 55 Coupe "got on it" at the drag strip. Unless you are getting on it every day, it may never be a problem.

studebk
11-26-2004, 11:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar60