This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nre one (for me)

Hey all! I am a infrequent poster to the alt.studebaker.newsgroup, just found this site. I recently sold many of my Stude parts and cars. But as a studeholic I have collected more.I recently bought a '63 Wagonnaire. A gentleman restored the car mechanics, but passed away. Another person bought the car and parked it on a hill with only the parking brake. The car rolled down the hill and struck a parked car. Hit right on the passenger side tailgate hinge. It buckled the sheet metal pretty bad. Needs a new tailgate, bumper, passnger rear quarter. The back east guys would laugh at the amount of body work, but as a 30 year Arizona guy, it's a tragedy. So I'm back up to my neck in Studes. I love this body style. Not pretty, but talk about functional! Anyway I hope to either fix it, get another body I like, or what? Hows about this. I have a 3K Chevybaker "6" out of a '65. The car has a rebuilt T-86/OD and a 3.73 TT rear. Everything is new on the car mechanically.I smell $3/gallon gas just around the corner. The present rebuilt 289 is going in my pristine '63 T-Cab. I have access to at least 3 oyher AZ Wagonnaire bodies. My Mopar neighbor is a master craftsman. He says fixing the body is no big deal. But I'm cheap (he is not), so what to do? The "6" will be going into whatever I do. I have a rust free '64 Challenger that I would like to sell. But do you think I'm ahead of the game switching all the parts (very extensive work), or fixing it? Just opening this for discussion. I need the $$$ from the Challenger, but want to use what I have. What do you think? Thanks KM

Kelly J. Marion

Well, I'm a bit confoosed, Kelly. How does the 64 Challenger factor in to all this? Is it just a Stude for sale or......?[|)]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A 1963 Wagonaire is a very nice vehicle, but I wouldn't consider putting a six in it. The Wagonaire used the X member frame, like a convertible, and is very heavy. The 170 cubic inch six has to work so hard in a Wagonaire that it is no longer economical. I would strongly suggest going with a 259 or 289 V8.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I bet I have something you don't have in your Stude collection. I just bought a set of fitted luggage for a 29-32 Studebaker. You wouldn't bleave me if I told you what I paid, so I won't tell.
        Jeff
        Jeff Sheaffer
        Driving the past into the future

Comment

Hey I know the Wagonnaire is approx. 500 lbs heavier than a small Lark type. The Challenger is on E-bay, but might be a more appropriate gas saver, if it doesn't sell. I presently can't find the exact HP and torque ratings for the 194 "6", but it has to be greater than either the flathead 170 or the OHV version. Plus (my opinion) much better drivability between the Chevy and the OHV. Studebaker ran all sorts of their vehicles with sixes. It's a matter of gearing and an OD tranny. I think a Wagonnaire can run with a 194, a OD and a 4.09 rear (at least). No barn burner, but should do OK in city traffic. Studebaker did it. I can't find someone with this combination, but it certainly existed. Also the Chevy six is a bolt in upgrade all the way to 292, with stops at 230 and 250 CI. The 250 is a honey of an engine. I've owned several. I'm still researching. All opinions are appreciated as long as you don't swear. KM

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

The 194 is approx. 440 pounds. It might be 120 HP. Anyone have any other figures for this engine? Torque? Is 120 HP right? What does a Stude six weigh? The accepted figure for a Stude V-8 is approx. 660 pounds, correct? Thanks KM

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

If I was going to use the Chevrolet 6, I would opt for the 230 ci motor, and get a bit more torque, and power. But, I feel a V8 will do as good on mpg as a 6, especially the Studebaker, with the torque they have. Remember, the 259s have the same stroke as a 327 SBC and and mine in a 1955 with automatic does about 20 on the road. Actually does better than the 1966 Cruiser with a 283 SBC in it and about the same weight vehicle. Both have 3.31 axles BTW.

quote:Originally posted by kelmbaker

The 194 is approx. 440 pounds. It might be 120 HP. Anyone have any other figures for this engine? Torque? Is 120 HP right? What does a Stude six weigh? The accepted figure for a Stude V-8 is approx. 660 pounds, correct? Thanks KM

Kelly J. Marion
              Sam Roberts

Comment

I don't know why, but I have never owned what I would call a frugal Studebaker. I've owned all V-8's. I have had 2 bbl's and 4 bbls. Auto and OD's. All around 15 mpg. Some 16, some 13. Must be my driving habits (pedal to the metal). I tend to drive a six different. You just aren't going to go any faster pushing the pedal. Bear with me. A 194 has 120 HP and 177 ft lbs/torque. Hmmm, sounds like a 232 to me! The 194 weighs in at 440 lbs. The Stude V-8 makes at least 660 pounds. I know that if I wanted pure gas mileage I'd buy a Honda. But I want my cake, and to eat it too. I don't have a 30K 230 (wish I did, better yet a 250), I have a 194. So use what you got is my mode right now. Just trying to get some ideas from folks. The math works out pretty well. Decent HP and torque, over two hundred pounds weight savings to make up a small portion of the heavy car weight (plus, of course, my lard ass). I guess I've made up my mind because I don't want to gather anymore mechanical parts (use what I have), and I'm intrigued. Of course the car will be less than peppy. But the gas mileage is what I'm after plus a Wagonnaire's versatility. The exercise might not work, but it does have some promise. The car presently has a 3.73, I have a 4.09 complete carrier. I can get a 4.27. I bet I'm going to need the 4.27.

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

I wouldn't think you'd hafta go to 4.27 rear gears! What the heck are you planning on toting in this thing??? And you never DID say what tranny you're gonna have behind the Chevy motor.
                  While you're not gonna win any races, for sure - I think that 194 WILL BE adequate to get you where you're going. One thing tho - I don't recall any bragging in years past as to how much gas mileage one got with their Chebby 6. Hell, the Stude V8s blew the competition out of the water in the old Mobilgas Economy runs.[:I]

Miscreant at large.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, I'll be using a T-86/OD. I drive to fast to get any mileage out of a V-8, anyones V-8. The best mileage I have ever gotten with a big car or truck has been either a Impala size Chevy with a 230 with a straight 3 speed, no power slush, or a 1/2 ton C-10 with a 250. Had one truck with a straight 3 speed and got a true 18 MPG around town and maybe 24 to 26 highway. Really good. I was delivering aircraft parts at the time and the boss paid me by the mile. The better gas mileage I had the more money I pocketed. Traded that truck for a Dodge van with a 340. Big mistake. 10 MPG around town, not much better on the highway. But it sure went like scat.

Kelly J. Marion

Comment

Working...
                    X