This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding trans gears

I've got a noisy 3-speed trans in my Hawk that needs some help. When the engine is not running, the trans can smoothly be shifted into all gears. (Just put in a new pressure plate and adjusted that clutch linkage per the shop manual.) However, with the engine running, I can't easily get the trans to drop into any gear. I'm averse to slamming the trans into gear and chewing something up .. so I'm looking for a solution to smoothly (and quietly) shift on the fly.

Thanks, Dan

Just read a related post on Google's Stude Newsgroup. It said to check both fill plugs on OD transmissions. Mine is OD. Anyone think this could be the most likely problem?

Comment

First I would check and double check the clutch to make sure it's disengaging completely. Did you weld up that one linkage piece that always spins? It really sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging. That said, 1st and reverse are not synchronized - can you shift into 2nd or 3rd OK? Finally yes you do need oil in that thing, there's only a small hole between the two portions of the tranny, if you drained it completely and then only filled through one hole, it probably didn't "equalize" before you checked the level and is now low.

good luck

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate,

It changes gears ok while the engine isn't running, so I presume the clutch disengages properly. When I pulled the trans during the rebuild, I recall filling one hole, but may have missed the other. That's my job for the weekend. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by N8N

First I would check and double check the clutch to make sure it's disengaging completely. Did you weld up that one linkage piece that always spins? It really sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging. That said, 1st and reverse are not synchronized - can you shift into 2nd or 3rd OK? Finally yes you do need oil in that thing, there's only a small hole between the two portions of the tranny, if you drained it completely and then only filled through one hole, it probably didn't "equalize" before you checked the level and is now low.

good luck

nate

Comment

I still suspect the clutch. The fact that you say you can shift with the engine off but not with the engine running just screams "clutch" to me.

I suspect it's adjusted a little loose and is not releasing completely OR the "operating shaft" or "release shaft" has its "fingers" rotating on the shaft allowing more play than expected in the clutch mechanism.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X