This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a v8 - how to avoid leaks?

I have not rebuilt a stude V8 in a couple of years.
    I am rebuildig a 232 short block.
    Using a timing gear cover from a newer engine.
    Is there any new or even old information in turning wheels
    or on the internet on the subject of AVOIDING ENGINE OIL LEAKS?
    I drive studebakers every day and nothing is more frustating than
    leaving oil spots every where you go.
    Thanks

I am also very interested in any suggestions as every time I stop there is a fresh oil spot. Have just snuged the bolt around the front cover and it helped but still there's oil. Jim S

Have the Silver Hawk and have to go through it to be sure it will be safe to use on the road. Have it in my garage now and it looks real good.

Comment

I have to say that I haven't had any real problem with oil leaks. What I have found it that if the seals were put in correctly and the oil was changed religiously, Studebakers are as oil tight as any car, (as long as the seals aren't simply just worn out). The toughest part is getting the oil pan seals installed corectly, and I use a dab of silicone sealer in all the corners when I put a pan on.

If you have a car that you didn't have all of it's life and wasn't very well serviced, I've also found that when you start changing the oil when it's supposed to be changed, they tend to leak. It seems that a "false" oil seal is built up behind the normal seal on a "dirty" engine, and the new oil cleans it away, causing leaks.

I'm afraid that the only real way to stop leaks is new seals and frequent oil changes. I do know that changing to a quality diesel oil after a car has been run on "normal" oil can cause leaks also. The reason being, diesel oil has even better cleaning additives. If you "start" an engine, (after rebuild or seal replacement), on a quality diesel oil, and keep it changed, you'll never have a leak problem and the engine will stay spotless inside.

Sonny
      Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
      X