This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Studebaker guy

Just became the proud owner of a 51 4 door. I know very little about these cars and hope someone can send me in the right direction. Any good links to venders or any tips on the rebuild would help me alot.
    This is too cool of a car to see go away.
    Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Donnie

Just became the proud owner of a 51 4 door. I know very little about these cars and hope someone can send me in the right direction. Any good links to venders or any tips on the rebuild would help me alot.
    Thanks
    Yepper! I love the bulletnoses too Donnie, congrats. What are you planning to do with the car, restore or rod? In any event, there are LOTS of Studebaker vendors, as well as members right here, who would be very happy to help you with whatever you want/need for your car. Where are you located? The reason I ask is because we are having a big Studebaker swap meet in Reedsville, PA in a couple of weeks, lots of great deals there.

Another suggestion, check out the rest of this site and join the SDC. Not only do you support Studebakering, but you also get a great magazine chock full of cars, tips, vendors, friends, etc,. Also, you can go here, http://www.studebakervendors.com/, that should keep you busy for a while.

Just stay tuned right here and we'll have you up and running in no time. Once again, welcome and congratulations Donnie!

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Donnie

Thanks
      What Sonny said! You did not say whether it is Commander, or Champion, but in either case it is something special. There are many vendors out there for needed parts, new and used, and lots of ut Studenuts to point the way to them. If it is V8, you have a Commander, and quite the sturdy motor. Champions were L-head 6, and less power, but in most cases quite usable. If it is an automatic, it is a Detroit Gear ( Borg-Warner ) and a good transmission, though most of today's trans men will know little about them. But, there is a supplier of parts in SW Ohio for any automatic ever made in the USA. Glass is no problem, as the side windows are flat glass, and front-back is not hard to find.

Swap meets are everywhere it seems, as Sonny mentions Reedsville, also the Michiana chapter has a big swap meet the 1st weekend of May every year. There is also zone meets, and the Int'l meets, and the SDC has the premier club magazine, and every month there are a lot of stuff advertised in it.

Join SDC, and find a local chapter, you will find so many nice people there, and maybe a couple grouches, but it is worth your time, and effort.

Sam

Sam Roberts

Comment

Thanks guys. To answer your questions, the car is a 6 cyl Champion. The motor is hopfully just stuck and not locked up ( if there is a difference ). Plans for the car are unknown for now. I guess from the running gear side it depends on feedback from you, the people that have gone through this. I do want to keep the body as stock as possable. No chopping or shaving. I have a 350 I could put in if that would make more sence. I just want to make a dependable cruiser. I live in Erin Tn. That is about 65 miles northwest of Nashville. Are there any Stude meets in this area?
        Once again thanks for your input.

Comment

Donnie, nice to hear you are planning to leave the looks stock. You might want to think about using the Champ motor, as there is speed equipment for them, and probably cost much less an engine transplant, after you consider all the structural changes you will need to do. I am not sure, but I think the later OHV 6 is nearly a bolt in for it as well. Since you are in the more level area of Tennessee, a warmed over 6 should have enough power. Someone here may have Cathcart's address in the east somewhere, and he does much speed equipment for the sixes.

There is a Middle Tennessee chapter of the SDC as I recall too, so it would not be too far to go to join a local chapter.

Sam Roberts

Comment

Donnie,
            We can answer most of your questions here. Sonny & Sam & me like to see Studes kept all Stude - to a point anyway. Having built maybe 4 or so Champion 6s, I can tell you that when they're right, there's not a sweeter-running engine. At a mere 170 cu.in. of power, you're not gonna win any races. But as Sonny has said, there are upgrades for the little engine and such upgrades would prove easier to apply than re-engineering the whole car to accept an engine that it wasn't designed around.
            If you got to thinking you just had to have more power, then a Stude V8 will drop right in there like your feet fit an old pair of slippers! Now you're talkin' some MUSCLE! If you don't believe me, look at Sonny's personal page www.racingstudebakers.com Since all Stude V8s have the same external dimensions, you can transplant a '51 version or a '64 version that has better breathing and enhancement possibilities.[]
            As far as your stuck engine. Tranny oil in the cylinders (that's probably where it's stuck) and let it set a few days. Then you might try rocking the car back and forth with it in gear to see if it breaks loose. Since the uninformed (hot rod types) like to just summarily toss the 6s to install 350s, good 6s are easily found from time to time. In fact, there's been a run of them on ebay lately. Some that have been rebuilt and never even run! That would be probably the cheapest approach as opposed to a rebuild.
            Again, that Champion engine was introduced in 1939. You could use a '39 thru'60 version of it with little more than maybe an oil pan swap! And the '55 thru'58 variants even had another 15cu.in of displacement (185cu.in.).[:0]
            Ya got a COOL car! Come back and talk to we who KNOW Studebakers before doing anything rash!

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My first Stude was a 51 Commander W-5, I still have the build sheet on the car but when I got into the car the past owners had done a good job of hacking up the pans and stuff. I ran into a nice 49 barn special for $650 and decided to put my resources into it rather than the 51. I still think the 51 is a great looking car especially the Starlite coupe, and when you have a nice restored one, it definitely turns heads. If you are looking for parts, ebay is a good place along with the Stude vendor sites, Napa has some brake and turn up parts along with u-joints and such.

Comment

I have a 1949 Commander that I have been restoring (stock) for three years. Its close to its coming out day! I have yet to run on to a part I couldn't find. Stude vendors for the most part are great to deal with. You have possibly the finest engineered car Stude ever built. That Champ 6 is very well engineered and if rebuilt properly will last a long time with todays oil. If the car has overdrive the Champ 6 with a bit of upgrade will cruise all day at any legal speed limit. If you do have it rebuilt beware of an engine shop that only does GM engines. Look for one that does all sorts of work i.e. ag, industrial, etc. they will take the time to notice the little things that make a Studebaker engine unique.[^] Such as locked in wrist pins, high nickle chrome cast iron blocks that don't need harded valve seats and the list goes on.

Good luck and make sure you Join the SDC and your local chapter!

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

I know where Sonny, Sam and Donnie hail from. How about 49stude63 and 49Commander? Where are you two at? Me - Mr.Biggs (aka StudeBob), I'm a resident of central California.
                  49 Commander, did you have to go thru the Big6 in your car? Also, what body style is it? I have a 51 Champion Biz coupe that my wife says I'm gonna restore someday. SHE says that because SHE wants it!

Miscreant at large.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers and start by joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. You can join at the site where you found this forum. The monthly publication will provide you with much information, vendor contacts, parts for sale and more.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Brian (49 Commander ) is an Indy chapter member big boy, and a pretty damned nice fellow, too. Sort of a young guy by our standards, but pretty level headed.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I know where Sonny, Sam and Donnie hail from. How about 49stude63 and 49Commander? Where are you two at? Me - Mr.Biggs (aka StudeBob), I'm a resident of central California.
                      49 Commander, did you have to go thru the Big6 in your car? Also, what body style is it? I have a 51 Champion Biz coupe that my wife says I'm gonna restore someday. SHE says that because SHE wants it!

Miscreant at large.
                      Sam Roberts

Comment

Working...
                      X