This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• covert frame on a 53 stud truck

I have a 53 studebaker 1/2 ton truck. I would like to install a different frame under it. Or would it be easier to install a front clip. Does anybody have a suggestion.

quote:Originally posted by 53study

I have a 53 studebaker 1/2 ton truck. I would like to install a different frame under it. Or would it be easier to install a front clip. Does anybody have a suggestion.
    If it were me and I had to change that front end, I'd go with a Fatman setup with rack steering. Are you rodding the truck?

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

A Fatman clip is a lot of work, but it does work.

Several people have successfully set the whole C-cab body on a slightly stretched S-10 pickup chassis. That way you get an all engineered drivetrain and can get power steering, and a/c for minimal hassles...

A nicely done Stude frame rides nice enough too!

Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
      '61 Hawk
      '37 Coupe Express
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes I am rodding my truck. I have installed a 350 with a 400 trans. But I'm having trouble with my steering box. It's had the bun. I can't keep it on the road. I was told that I could use a late 60's chev truck frame. Then i can use the steering assembly. I could also use the dash with speedo, heat, fuel gauges ect.

Comment

I have seen several Studebaker pick ups with a full size Chevy truck front section grafted on. The last Studebaker pick up that I owned had a Camaro sub frame grafted on. It had a 400 V8 and TurboHydramatic, along with ps, pdb and a Chevy rear. It drove like a long wheelbase Camaro.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The early square bodied Dodge Dakota standard cab short box pickup has a 112" wheelbase, same as a Stude short box. The track width is nearly the same as well. Factory rack/pinion steering and disc brakes to boot. I saw a '54 Dodge pickup body set on a Dakota chassis and it looked sweet. A stude would look even better.

Comment

Working...
            X