This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 stude steering wheel remove

Hi Guys, I am new to the board and to Studebakers in general. A guy at a swap meet turned me on to this board and I think I will enjoy it. Now for the question, I just bought a 63 2door Lark (that's what the seller says),and got a idenical parts car with it. Both are 6cyl,3 speed trans. These are the plain jane cars, no frills. The steering wheel on the parts car is better that the "good" car and I want to swap them but don't know how to get it off with out tearing up the horn center cap. Doesn't seam to twist off but was afraid to try to hard for fear of breaking it. Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance, Mike

quote:Originally posted by OhioHillbilly

Hi Guys, I am new to the board and to Studebakers in general. A guy at a swap meet turned me on to this board and I think I will enjoy it. Now for the question, I just bought a 63 2door Lark (that's what the seller says),and got a idenical parts car with it. Both are 6cyl,3 speed trans. These are the plain jane cars, no frills. The steering wheel on the parts car is better that the "good" car and I want to swap them but don't know how to get it off with out tearing up the horn center cap. Doesn't seam to twist off but was afraid to try to hard for fear of breaking it. Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance, Mike
    WELCOME Billy! Glad that you found "home" Not even a little problem with that horn button. It's held in with an o-ring. The O-ring gets dried out, "cruddy", etc., and sticks to the inside of the horn ring. What I do is spray, (with the little "straw" that comes with the can), around where the plastic meets the chrome horn ring with some silicone. I spray around the edge of the horn button sparingly and let it soak for a while. Then I take my very sharp pocket knife blade and carefully get the blade under the edge of the horn button. Then just go around that edge, lifting gently as you go, until it's free. If it won't lift easily or all the way around, just spray a little more of that silicone in the places where you can get the knife blade under. Works every time for me.

By the way, that o-ring is a special, flat type o-ring Billy, and if it's damaged it's better to just buy a new, correct o-ring rather than trying to replace it with the usual, round type, they won't work.

Hope this helps and I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your new Studebaker project.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
    X