PDA

View Full Version : Water pump on 57 Silver Hawk

sweetcraft
10-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Can the water pump be rebuilt on the v8? Traced noise to pump and has big play and must leak too. Found other sources for rebuilds but wonder it unit itself can be repaired with stock seal and bearings. Will take unit off next to see just what is wrong. Thanks for any suggestions. Jim Sweet

New owner, just getting started and still have to go get the 57 silver hawk.

Sonny
10-25-2004, 11:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by sweetcraft

Can the water pump be rebuilt on the v8? Traced noise to pump and has big play and must leak too. Found other sources for rebuilds but wonder it unit itself can be repaired with stock seal and bearings. Will take unit off next to see just what is wrong. Thanks for any suggestions. Jim Sweet

New owner, just getting started and still have to go get the 57 silver hawk.

Yes, you can buy a kit and rebuild the water pump.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

whacker
10-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Why don't you just buy a rebuilt water pump? They aren't that rare, and several of the vendors have them at a reasonable price (with exchange). Rebuilding requires a bearing press and will have you down for a while. Replacement should have you going in an hour or so.

sweetcraft
10-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Have had the car for a week and have it turned up and easy starting while waiting for the rebuilt pump. Will have all winter to fine tune and make the list. Snow is coming. Jim Sweet

Have the Silver Hawk and have to go through it to be sure it will be safe to use on the road. Have it in my garage now and it looks real good.

Sonny
10-31-2004, 11:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by sweetcraft

Thanks for the info. Have had the car for a week and have it turned up and easy starting while waiting for the rebuilt pump. Will have all winter to fine tune and make the list. Snow is coming. Jim Sweet

Have the Silver Hawk and have to go through it to be sure it will be safe to use on the road. Have it in my garage now and it looks real good.

Great to hear, you have the Hawk home! When can we see a picture of it? :)

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

rlieder
11-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Who has the kits to rebuild water pumps,Yes it's easier to buy new but I'm starting to get a few laying around.Whats the difference between a water pump for a avanti[stude] and a regular v-8?I have a wp that is for a stude but It won't work on my 63 cruiser,the fan pulley rubs against the water manifold.May be it was'nt such a good deal after all?