PDA

View Full Version : Can air filter be modified?

sweetcraft
10-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Have taken the oil bath filter apart off my recently aquired 57 Silver Hawk and wondered if anyone had success in finding dry airfilter that would make system easier to service. It had a screen that didn't look like original so not even sure how to use oil bath system. Jim Sweet

New owner, just getting started and still have to go get the 57 silver hawk.

studegary
10-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Most Studebakers of the '50s came with a dry element air cleaner. The oil bath air cleaner was an option. The part that you don't want to hear is that the housings for the dry and wet air cleaners are different. I would recommend properly servicing the oil bath air cleaner that you have. Clean the unit and put oil (30W, I believe)in the unit up to the fill line marked on the unit. The level and cleanliness of the oil is critical for proper operation.

sweetcraft
10-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes I have already cleaned unit and it looks real good only it had a screen that doesn't look good. Is the screen part of the unit or was it added? Yes I have the Silver Hawk and its in the garage getting a lot of attention. I know I will have more questions as I go through the car. Jim S

New owner, just getting started and still have to go get the 57 silver hawk.