PDA

View Full Version : Axel nut tighting procedure

curt
08-26-2006, 03:32 PM
When torquing the Dana rear axel bolt on to 180 ft/lbs. does one just block the front wheels. I'm assuming the brake should be off. I have the new shoes adjusted, lines bled, proper springs hung,new wheel cylinders, a few cuts on my knuckles, and a new bolt on one wheel cylinder. I could not believe it , I tightned the wheel cylinder bolt and broke it off. Luck, the broken bolt came out with a dental drill cutting a slot in the broken bolt end and a screw driver delivering the bolt with ease! Took the wheel cylinder to my local 'dental shop' to cut the slot.

CHAMP
08-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Sounds like your getting close to road-test time! Good Luck.:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

CHAMP
08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Sorry I didn't answer your question! Chocking the wheels would work but if you already have the pretty tight(100 ft.lbs. or more it probaly wouldn't hurt to just put in gear and put e/brake on.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Roscomacaw
08-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Somebody will probably scream "FOUL!" here but what I do is take this BIG-AZZ prybar I have (6ft long and made from an old buggy axle!), I stick it in between 3 of the lug studs and lever the other end against the floor. Then I carefully tighten the axle nut against it with my mega-torque wrench.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ROADRACELARK
08-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Bob,
You didn't say whether you put the nuts on the studs first. [?] If not, that must reak havock on them thare threads...yes-no-mabe? ;) Just funnin' ya'. BTDT.:) Talked to Jimmy last week...doing fine. Send him an E-mail..
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Roscomacaw
08-27-2006, 03:09 PM
NO problem Dan! Actually, I DON'T put nuts on the studs and I've never had a problem with the stud threads. Thing is, my "special" pry bar actually has four flat sides and this distributes the pressure across the multiple threads. But I think even a big, hex-sided crowbar or some similar lever would do. Just so it's long enough that it can't be over-walked in the course of tightening. It sure beats having someone stand on the brakes or trying to chock the wheel to where it won't slip.[xx(]

Of course, now that you make me think of it, lug nuts might be fine or you could slip short pieces of heater hose over the studs before inserting the bar/lever.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS