PDA

View Full Version : Purple Hawk

Kdancy
10-22-2004, 02:46 PM
For those of you that know the car, a 61 Hawk, I checked the miliage today and my son,Zach, has put over 6,200 miles on the car since we rebuilt the motor last winter. I put hood stiffners in the corners, blocked out and repainted the hood while I had it off. I will be re-painting the whole car in the near future but the next project is cutting out and reinstalling the electric door locks that were installed backwards! Plan on putting all new rubber in the front and rear glass and side windows. We are slowly getting it up to snuff. Now I just need to find the time to finish up my 64 T-cab!

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

N8N
10-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Is this the one that JP sold a couple years ago? Got a pic of it together? I always wanted to see how that car turned out, it looked like the guy who started it had some incredible plans for it.

nate

Kdancy
10-23-2004, 08:35 AM
The fellow that started the work on it had some very good ideas, problem was the exacution. We have had to re-do or need to re-do almost everything done to the car. Engine had less than 1,200 miles when we had to completely rebuild it.

* Engine had low oil pressure after it is warmed up and you let it idle. I was advised nothing wrong with it just needed a new oil pressure guage.
*Traced a water leak to the aluminum water pump manifold (aluminum LS repro) having a crack-- had to be tigged up.
*Water passages in block about a third stopped up with casting flash, we ground out to size while pump manifold off. After seeing this we started to worry about how well the block had been prepped before assembly.
* One freeze plug just popped out of block and we had to trailer car back home to find and fix. Found a couple more loose and replaced them with dorman plugs. Remember, this was a newly rebuilt engine!
*Carbuator worked only to half throttle. After we got this straightened out, we still felt like car was lacking the power it should be producing. We wound up buying a new carb.
*Checked electric fuel pump and found that filter had been placed up near carb and not between fuel pump and tank, thus allowing any trash in tank to pass thru fuel pump first. We changed this and added a filter between tank and pump.
* Fuel line was 3/8 but tank line was 5/16 thus limiting fuel flow to the 5/16 tank outlet. Tank is out of car now and will be re-plumbed for 3/8 line.
*The car came with 2 aluminum drive shafts, one shorter then the other. After chasing down the vibration that we were getting, we found that the drive shaft was bent and we had to have one made up. No vibration now.
* New carpet in car just fell apart after a year and a half. We just ordered a new one from Phantom, paid more but feel like we get a much better quality one.
*Wire harness was installed with out a fuse between the electric cooling fan and harness. Under hood harness burned up as a result. Built all new harness with the proper fuse added!
* We still had to add water and couldn't figure out where it was going. After a conversation with Ted, we checked the head bolts and found most of them way out of torque. Torqued them down and still had the problem. Decided to pull the heads and replace head gaskets. We made up our minds to pull the engine and re-do the engine compartment while we were at it.
*I have decided to re-engineer both motor mount plates to accept late model chevy urethane mounts. Also am going to come up with something different on the bellhousing mount as it is a bear to get out as it is now installed. Understand that part # 1553609 allows you to unbolt the mount without taking the cross member out. (wound up buying some uretane material and making my own mounts, no problems so far)
*Remember I mentioned the low oil pressure? Well I decided to pull the pan and have a look at the oil pump and main bearings. I spent 3 hours sanding all the scratches out of the oil pump cover, I didn't feel to good after seeing that, so I pulled one of the main bearing caps and after a look, with disgust I loaded the short block up and took it to my machine shop. This machinist builds a lot of race motors and I have always had good luck with his work. I got a call from him and he asked me who had put the motor together. I told him where we had bought the car. He then said "whoever put this engine together did it with filth all in it. You need main, rod and cam bearings (this motor has less than 1,200 miles) I am afraid it has even affected the pistons (I saw deep scratches on the bottom of a couple of the cylinder walls after I pulled the pan). It will need to be honed out and new rings put in, maybe pistons, these are forged pistons (Ford 300 6 cylinder) and are not cheap! (couln't find the right replacement pistons so reused the others, can't seem to tell any oil usage)
Our rebuilt motor has now run like a top for over 6,000 miles. We barely drove the car until last winter as problems kept popping up and had to be fixed. I think we have the dri

Sonny
10-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Whew....... Sounds like you had a hell of a time there. You didn't mention it but this was a car that you bought from JP? I think I remember seeing pictures of the car but the memory is fuzzy, does his car have a Chevy engine?

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Kdancy
10-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Yes to your first question. No chevy, it has a modified Studebaker 289, big valves, cam, etc, molded in 56 fins and painted with a late ford purple color. Yes, it is one of those cars that just had a lot of work done to it improperly. We would have been much better off building a car from scratch. To far into this one to back off. Didn't want to unload it on some one else for them to have to deal with the problems. We were looking for a car that needed little to finish and could be driven while the little things like interior were taken care of. Most of the prier 28,000.00 and the work after that before we got the car might as well have been put in a rat hole.
Boy were we in for a surprise!

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

N8N
10-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Wow, that's a whole mess of stuff. Guy spent a lot of $$ on wheels and bodywork I bet, too bad he didn't pay more attention to the mechanicals. Wish I knew who rebuilt the engine so's to stay away from them :/

nate

Sonny
10-24-2004, 12:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Yes to your first question. No chevy, it has a modified Studebaker 289, big valves, cam, etc, molded in 56 fins and painted with a late ford purple color. Yes, it is one of those cars that just had a lot of work done to it improperly. We would have been much better off building a car from scratch. To far into this one to back off. Didn't want to unload it on some one else for them to have to deal with the problems. We were looking for a car that needed little to finish and could be driven while the little things like interior were taken care of. Most of the prier 28,000.00 and the work after that before we got the car might as well have been put in a rat hole.
Boy were we in for a surprise!

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Damn, I'm sorry to hear something like this. I hate to say it but "pig in a poke" comes to mind.[B)] I know what you mean about being "too far into" it, been there, done that. I'd say that you're a hell of a good guy for not just passing it on to some other unsuspecting person. It sounds like you have it pretty much squared away now, hope we get to see it in person some time, sounds like you've got it lookin' good! Thanks.

Sonny

Kdancy
10-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Zach came by yesterday, 61 Hawk has almost 7,000 miles on it. Not bad nowadays for a stude in less than a year! Think is was around Febuary when we gave up and completely rebuilt the motor. He says car feels really solid at 80mph down the interstate! Better than any other he has driven. Suspect gas prices will slow him up a bit.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Sonny
10-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Whew! I'm daily drivin' my Lark with a 259 but I don't have any where near that much mileage on! That young'n sure don't let any grass grow under his feet! :D It sure does my old heart good to hear things like this. Thanks!

Sonny