PDA

View Full Version : Rear Stabilizer bars

2R5
10-17-2004, 06:51 PM
I seen Sonny mentioned something about putting a rear bar on a ' 60 Lark . I was looking in the parts book and couldn't find any sign of them or part numbers. Were these an option on the ' 60 Lark ? If they were available were can one be had today ?

Sonny
10-17-2004, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by 2R5

I seen Sonny mentioned something about putting a rear bar on a ' 60 Lark . I was looking in the parts book and couldn't find any sign of them or part numbers. Were these an option on the ' 60 Lark ? If they were available were can one be had today ?

Hey Bob!

Nope, I doubt those were optional unless they could be had on the police or fleet cars. They were on a bunch of older Studebakers and they can be adapeted real easily. My setup is coming off a '57 Packard, which has the bottom plates and frame fittings that ya need. I also put an Avanti 44 Dana in my '60, which has the traction bar fittings on it too. Are you thinking of putting a sway bar setup on the Champ? I'm not sure the car setup would work on the Champ. The rear bar from the Packard looks pretty anemic, so once I get it configured I'm gonna look for a heavier bar.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

2R5
10-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey Sonny....I don't think the truck really needs one but I'd like to put one on my ' 60 Lark. I put a '64 Lark front sway bar on the ' 60 and that sure made a big difference in handling and sure would like to do the back too if I could.

Roscomacaw
10-19-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't know abou them being on"a bunch" of older Studes but they were standard equipment on The President Classics and the 57-8 Packards. I've got one on our 60 LArk ragtop that I took from under a 57Packard sedan. Hell, the holes to bolt it to the Lark were already there! Just be sure to get the spring shock mount plate too. It has the extra ear for the sway bar that the Lark piece won't have.

Miscreant at large.

2R5
10-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Mr Biggs....did it make a whole lot of difference on your ' 60 ?

Sonny
10-20-2004, 02:07 PM

Hey Sonny....I don't think the truck really needs one but I'd like to put one on my ' 60 Lark. I put a '64 Lark front sway bar on the ' 60 and that sure made a big difference in handling and sure would like to do the back too if I could.

I'd forgotten that you had a '60 Lark too Bob! I can't remember what model it is either! :) I already have a front sway bar on my Lark as it was a V8 from the factory, and I believe all the V8 cars had 'em. I think the rear sway bars made a BIG difference in the handling, from all that I've heard. I hope so.

Sonny

2R5
10-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Ya Sonny , I have a ' 60 2 dr sedan six banger. Its a good little car , not many miles on her. Last winter I put a front sway bar from a 64 cruiser on it . Its a little heavier then the ones they used in 60 . I found it really made a big difference on handling. Its a little more work putting on the rear by the look of it . I don't mind the work but I really don't want to waste my time and money if it doesn't make much difference.

Sonny
10-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Ya Sonny , I have a ' 60 2 dr sedan six banger. Its a good little car , not many miles on her. Last winter I put a front sway bar from a 64 cruiser on it . Its a little heavier then the ones they used in 60 . I found it really made a big difference on handling. Its a little more work putting on the rear by the look of it . I don't mind the work but I really don't want to waste my time and money if it doesn't make much difference.

A nice litte crusin' car! Yeah, the front bar on my '60 is kind of anemic too. I have a '63 cruiser, I wonder if it's heavier than the '60? I have to go waaay out in the country where I have it stored to look. I'm also definitely gonna be looking for a heavier bar for the rear to replace the thin bar from the Packard. Does anyone re-pop them?

Sonny

Roscomacaw
10-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah - it does make a difference in the roll of this thing (a ragtop, Sonny. V8 convertible - was a 6 when I bought it in '85). I know I sure wouldn't take it back off![8)]

Miscreant at large.

N8N
10-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Sonny,

Dave Thibeault makes the larger sway bars, see the pics here

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/daytona6.html

I am not sure how I feel about them... they *feel* great, but I have heard a few people warning that they're not properly heat treated spring steel and may eventually take a "set" over time. YMMV. I've only got a couple miles on them due to a really annoying fuel problem (now solved) and annoying stuff like work interfering with my quality Stude driving time, so I can't really give you a long term report.

nate

Sonny
10-20-2004, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

Sonny,

Dave Thibeault makes the larger sway bars, see the pics here

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/daytona6.html

I am not sure how I feel about them... they *feel* great, but I have heard a few people warning that they're not properly heat treated spring steel and may eventually take a "set" over time. YMMV. I've only got a couple miles on them due to a really annoying fuel problem (now solved) and annoying stuff like work interfering with my quality Stude driving time, so I can't really give you a long term report.

nate

Thanks a million Nate. I had heard somebody made heavier bars and that they weren't heat treated, but nobody ever said who it was and I didn't ask. The bar from the Packard is really thin, but I think it would help at least some. Please do keep us updated on the big bar that you're running. Heck, as much as our cars get driven, it can't be too bad. Was it expensive? Glad to hear that you're puttin' some miles on that Lark, it's as sharp as hell!

Sonny

Roscomacaw
10-21-2004, 09:15 PM
I remember some years back, when Danny Miller ran his 64 Lark at Road Atlanta (Vintage road race days), he ran TWO Stude sway bars on the front.

Miscreant at large.

N8N
10-21-2004, 11:49 PM
For the front, I have heard that an Olds front bar works well, I don't remember which model but OCF told me about it. I think you have to weld two tabs on the lower control arms or something. I'm not aware of an easy fit for the rear however.

nate