PDA

View Full Version : 1950 champ frnt hubs

gotti210
10-16-2004, 11:42 PM
i have a 1950 stud champ and have been told that a 1951 & up stud has 5 lug 4 1/2" wheel bolt pattern is this correct

now whaT years if any could i get spindles/ backing plates/ drums & hubs from to fit my 1950 stud champs front end to convert it to 5 lug 4 1/2" wheel bolt pattern

Sonny
10-17-2004, 12:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by gotti210

i have a 1950 stud champ and have been told that a 1951 & up stud has 5 lug 4 1/2" wheel bolt pattern is this correct

now whaT years if any could i get spindles/ backing plates/ drums & hubs from to fit my 1950 stud champs front end to convert it to 5 lug 4 1/2" wheel bolt pattern

I used '63 spindles on my '50 Starlight, but I'm willing to bet most '51-up spindles would work. The '50 spindles with 4 stud hubs use a 3 hole backing plate, the 4 1/2 on 5 stud hubs, (later backing plates), use a 4 hole backing plate. As soon as you get the later model spindles with a 4 hole backing plate mount, you can us any brake Studebaker made, including disc brakes.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

gotti210
10-17-2004, 12:59 AM
so what ur saying sonny is that the ball joints & a arms would work on any model stud spindle and once i put the four hole backin plate then i could put frnt disc off of a newer stude
correct

Sonny
10-17-2004, 01:39 AM

so what ur saying sonny is that the ball joints & a arms would work on any model stud spindle and once i put the four hole backin plate then i could put frnt disc off of a newer stude
correct

Studebaker uses a tough king-bolt arrangement, no ball joints ever. Just find and change the old spindle, (which includes the king-bolt), with a later model spindle and you're in business. I'd definitely try to find a '51 spindle as it's closer to the '50 control arm configuration. I put rack steering in my car and short, (quick), steering arms too. You'll have to take a close look at your Stude setup and you'll easily see what I mean. Hope this helps.

Sonny

gotti210
10-17-2004, 01:46 AM
what all exactly did you change from stock to put the 63 spindles on your 50 stude

Sonny
10-17-2004, 02:11 AM

what all exactly did you change from stock to put the 63 spindles on your 50 stude

Just the spindle itself. Here's how it basically goes... Pop the outer tie rod off, take the brake line, shock, swaybar fitting off. Jack the car and put a jack stand under the frame in the front body mount area, pull the wheel, front drum/hub, backing plate. That will expose the spindle/kingbolt assembly. Pull the cotter pin out of the big castle nut on the bottom of the kingbolt, put a jack under the lower control arm, jack the arm up until the car frame is just off the jack stand, Put a good length of medium-heavy chain through the top control arm down through the spring and through the lower control arm, connect the ends of the chain using a bolt, nut and some washers, remove the big castle nut on the bottom of the king bolt, carefully and veeeeery slowly lower the jack until the bottom fitting clears the bottom of the king bolt. That allows the spring to fall out, slide the spindle and misc parts down off the king bolt, replace the old spindle with the later spindle, (along with new bearings and seals), put it back together. :) This is just a very simple description of the job, of course. You will have to check clearances on the spindle and those are adjusted with shims, so I'd highly recommend that you get a Stude shop manual before you do the job. Does this help?

Sonny

gotti210
10-17-2004, 01:30 PM
thanks sonny you are a life saver, i been looking for an answer to this problem since feb. thanks again

Sonny
10-17-2004, 01:41 PM

thanks sonny you are a life saver, i been looking for an answer to this problem since feb. thanks again

Thanks, and you're more than welcome, just glad I could help

Sonny