PDA

View Full Version : hawk shock mount

gerry
10-10-2004, 11:46 AM
hi guys i'am confused could use some help. changeing the rear shocks on my 60 hawk. replacement shocks have a metal bushing inside the lower mount on the new shock. the shock that came off does not.
the mounting pin on the hawk seems to have an built in bushing. tried to remove it, was connected to the spacer. my question is; is this spacer/bushing supposed to come off or did i get the wrong shock. autozone was unable to match up the old shock part # gabriel 17036 instead gave me gabriel 82151 which is what the book called for

Sonny
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by gerry

hi guys i'am confused could use some help. changeing the rear shocks on my 60 hawk. replacement shocks have a metal bushing inside the lower mount on the new shock. the shock that came off does not.
the mounting pin on the hawk seems to have an built in bushing. tried to remove it, was connected to the spacer. my question is; is this spacer/bushing supposed to come off or did i get the wrong shock. autozone was unable to match up the old shock part # gabriel 17036 instead gave me gabriel 82151 which is what the book called for

You have the wrong shock Gerry. The Hawk mount uses the "plain" type bushings. However, if you are determined to use those shocks, you can make them work. Remove the original mount from the car then just find a bolt, (at least grade 5 strength), that fits snugly through that bushing and the mount on the spring and you're in business. Just make sure that the shock has the same vertical alignment as the original. You maintain vertical alignment by using a bolt of the right length. You can use a washers or some type of spacer that you can make up to get the correct vertical alignment but that will work just fine. Studebaker shock mount setups were mostly plain bolt type.

You could also remove the rubber mounts in the bottom of those new shocks and get a new set of "plain" bushings that will fit the original mounts at any local parts store. Unless you are going for an award at a judged event, mix and match to get 'em to work is just fine. :)

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com