PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem

Sonny
10-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Here's an interesting problem for everybody to work on. This could be a number of things, but I don't think we have ALL the experts working on it................. :D

roger jennings wrote:

Hi all,can you please give me some sugestions on how to solve a brake
which locks up, I have a 1953 commander h/t, I fitted a later model
Studebaker self adjusting system from a 1964 Stude, new shoes, master
& wheel cylinders plus hoses. All brakes work good except the Left hand rear keeps locking up for some reason. When the car is cold no problem, the wheel turns okay but after a few miles the L/H rear wheel slowly locks up. If I jack the car up the wheel will easly turn back but locks when turned forward. When the car sits for a while and cools down the wheel will turn forward okay. It seems the brake is coming on by itself.I also have fitted a worn brake drum to this wheel as I thought clearence may be the cause but the same thing happens.I have a shop manual and everything is per the book, I have done many Stude brakes but not struck this before. could it be something to do with the self adjuster on this wheel. your ideas please. thank from Roger.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Sonny
10-06-2004, 01:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sonny

Here's an interesting problem for everybody to work on. This could be a number of things, but I don't think we have ALL the experts working on it................. :D

roger jennings wrote:

Hi all,can you please give me some sugestions on how to solve a brake
which locks up, I have a 1953 commander h/t, I fitted a later model
Studebaker self adjusting system from a 1964 Stude, new shoes, master
& wheel cylinders plus hoses. All brakes work good except the Left hand rear keeps locking up for some reason. When the car is cold no problem, the wheel turns okay but after a few miles the L/H rear wheel slowly locks up. If I jack the car up the wheel will easly turn back but locks when turned forward. When the car sits for a while and cools down the wheel will turn forward okay. It seems the brake is coming on by itself.I also have fitted a worn brake drum to this wheel as I thought clearence may be the cause but the same thing happens.I have a shop manual and everything is per the book, I have done many Stude brakes but not struck this before. could it be something to do with the self adjuster on this wheel. your ideas please. thank from Roger.

Since it's a back brake doing this, and it has the self adjusting feature, I'm thinking that it could very well be the self adjusting system doing it, OR an incorrect initial adjustment? If it were a bad hose, I would think that it would do it on both wheels, or at least vary between them. Also, When adjusting the brakes, it isn't necessary to adjust them too tight when they're first installed. When the brakes are adjusted correctly, the wheel should turn easily with just a very slight dragging sound from the shoes. In the "too tight condition", the self adjusting system would certainly compound the problem because every time you bak up and apply the brakes it's supposed to tighten the brakes every time you apply the brake pedal. Also, what happens when they're too tight, the drum heats up, (while it's sanding the brake shoe down), and if it gets hot enough, expands enough to lock that brake. As long as there's no grease/oil fouling insde the drum, that's where I'd start, back off on the adjustment.

As a side note, if anything is hampering the brake shoes from returning to the unpressurized position, it would also do the same thing, (bad or sticking wheel cylinder, corrosion or something on the backer plates, etc). I KNOW we have more suggestions! :)

Sonny

N8N
10-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Dumb question, did you use the star wheels from the self adjusting setup as well? ISTR that the self adjusters used a much finer-toothed star wheel than the non-self-adjusting cars, "one click" on the non-self-adjusters does a lot more adjusting than one click with the self adjusters. (I hope that made sense. I almost confused myself, there.) I swapped a '63 rear end into my '62 (for the TT unit) and discovered this the hard way (after nearly destroying the self-adjuster type star wheels with my brake spoon - they are very difficult to manually adjust. The self adjusters had disappeared long before I got my hands on the rear, so I didn't think about it at first. oddly enough they adjusted easily once I dug through a box of brake parts and found the correct star wheels. JP laughed at me for salvaging it from the trash at a swap meet but hey, what can I say, a box of parts is a Good Thing.)

I'd ordinarily suggest a constricted brake hose (as that's usually what causes this kind of problem) but if that were the case it ought to show up on the other rear wheel as well. But I'd look at the hose anyway while you're under there.

nate

Sonny
10-20-2004, 09:28 PM
I never thought about swapping the self-adjuster with the manual adjuster! That definitely would make a BIG difference! Something to keep an eye on, thanks Nate!

Sonny

studevic
11-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi all, thanks for your input, yes the problem was the self adjuster on the L/h rear wheel, I took the adjuster off and no more problems, didnt know about the different star wheels though, thank you from Roger

R.A.Jennings

conestogaman
12-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Something not mentioned here but in another post was to make sure the long shoe and short shoe are in their correct places (long in front and short in rear position?).

Just my dos centavos

'54 Studebaker Commander Conestoga wagon 'junkyard rescue gonna-be hotrod'
'54 Studebaker Champion Conestoga wagon 'all original thanks to the Commander'

Wheels down, shiney side up, drive it like you stole it!