PDA

View Full Version : 10 % Ethanol in the Gas

studeroger
09-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Here on Long Island (New York), MTBE has been replaced by 10% ethanol in our gas. I was wondering what, if anything, affect this alcohol would have on the fuel system in my Studebaker. I'm referring mostly to the carburetor and fuel pump in my '59 Lark VI.
Many thanks.
Studeroger

Sonny
10-01-2004, 07:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by studeroger

Here on Long Island (New York), MTBE has been replaced by 10% ethanol in our gas. I was wondering what, if anything, affect this alcohol would have on the fuel system in my Studebaker. I'm referring mostly to the carburetor and fuel pump in my '59 Lark VI.
Many thanks.
Studeroger

I can give you a few tips Roger. First, "old" rubber fuel lines and fuel pump diaphrams are at risk, and I say that from bad experiences. I've had it turn the old stuff into a snotty, Jello-like substance inside the rubber lines and get all through the fuel system in a few cars, not just my Studebakers. Also, after I started using the "new" fuel, I replaced a few fuel pumps. Bad news was, I bought a couple NOS, or really "old" rebuilds, that didn't last very long at all either!

The other thing, and especially exasperating for a 6 cyl. guy, it promotes, hell it MAKES the car, vaporlock! Yep, make sure your engine "heat guards" are in place and I suggest using about a quart of diesel fuel to every fill up to combat it.

In any event, if you're not sure when the rubber fuel lines in your car were last changed, put new hoses in the entire fuel system from the tank to the carb., avoid using NOS fuel components, and use that quart of diesel and the combination should help. If you come across any fuel component that leaves a black stain on your finger when it comes in contact with the "new" fuel, replace it or throw it away!

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Studeblazer
10-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Hello we have it here in Iowa...I run my 62 Champ on it and my 58 Champion...Havent seemed to have any problems with it...
:)

Sonny
10-02-2004, 11:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studeblazer

Hello we have it here in Iowa...I run my 62 Champ on it and my 58 Champion...Havent seemed to have any problems with it...
:)

Sounds good to me! :) Are they still running all the old rubber stuff? I'm curious because it's so bad with our gas here in NY. Mebbe there is different blends for different places? The stuff we get looks and smells about like moonshine when you put it in a clear container.

Sonny

whacker
10-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I am also in Iowa - I melted a diaphragm-type electric fuel pump in two seasons of use in my 1951 Commander (expensive 6 volt model). I replaced it with a newer unit that said on the label that it was compatible with alcohol. So far (one year) no problems. I will soon be converting to 12 volts, and I have a "Holly red" fuel pump ready for that. You shouldn't be using any rubber fuel lines anyway, whether you have alcohol or not (voice of experience 1951 MG TD and 1957 Harley both burned up).

Sonny
10-05-2004, 11:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by whacker

I am also in Iowa - I melted a diaphragm-type electric fuel pump in two seasons of use in my 1951 Commander (expensive 6 volt model). I replaced it with a newer unit that said on the label that it was compatible with alcohol. So far (one year) no problems. I will soon be converting to 12 volts, and I have a "Holly red" fuel pump ready for that. You shouldn't be using any rubber fuel lines anyway, whether you have alcohol or not (voice of experience 1951 MG TD and 1957 Harley both burned up).

I don't doubt that the fuel eats up that 'ol rubber at all! ;) It would be nice if we could get away from using rubber lines at all, but it's virtually impossible with the way we have to have a little wiggle capability between the car frame and the engine, line butt connections, fuel filter mounting, etc.. In fact, the rubber fuel line from the factory was a much better braided type with fittings to connect to the line from the tank and the fuel pump. Just have ta use the good stuff. :)

Sonny

raprice
10-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all your replies. So far, here on Long Island, I haven't had any problems with the new gas. I am, however, keeping an eye on the fuel lines.
Rog
'59 Lark:)

Rekabeduts
10-31-2004, 03:54 PM
I've heard that too about alcohol in gas. This may not help folks in Northern states, but I understand that Chevron does not use MTBEs or ethanol, at least not in the southern states (I'm in Florida). I contacted their Customer Service area several months and got that info. Does anyone else know of other particular brands that may be alcohol-free?

Chris Pile
11-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Don't forget that your fuel mileage will go down a bit when using ethanol. The ideal fuel to air ratio for gasoline is 17 parts air to 1 part gasoline, and for ethanol the ratio is more like 7 parts air to 1 part ethanol. It burns cooler, too - therefore it produces much less energy for the same volume of gasoline. It will dry out many plastics, and clean any varnish or sludge out of your fuel system that gasoline leaves behind. Check your fuels bowls & filters while using ethanol to make sure that nothing clogs the fuel system during operation of the engine. Hope this helps! - Chris Pile

Sonny
11-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Great tips Chris! I definitely believe ya because I've experienced exactly what you've described! Also, tuning your engine with ethanol without instruments is tough as hell, no more "by ear". Thanks!

Sonny

conestogaman
12-14-2004, 02:25 PM
"Does anyone else know of other particular brands that may be alcohol-free?"

Here in CA the fuel companies HAD to use MTBE by EPA demand[}:)] Then they found out it was soaking thru the holding tanks at the gas stations[:0]

So...they REQUIRED the gas stations to dig up their old tanks, dig out any contaminated dirt which had to be disposed of in 'sanitary' hazardous waste dumps (for astronomical sums of money) and re-install double wall tanks[}:)] This caused a LOT of small gas stations to close:(

Then they found that the burned and unburned MTBE was still polluting the environment so it is being removed from the system...at further cost to consumers...[B)]

Ahh...government at it's finest...[8D]

'54 Studebaker Commander Conestoga wagon 'junkyard rescue gonna-be hotrod'
'54 Studebaker Champion Conestoga wagon 'all original thanks to the Commander'

Wheels down, shiney side up, drive it like you stole it!

45 tonner
01-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Iwas using ethanol in my 2r10,and the carb.float started leaking.I was told that the alchohol attacked the solder in the float.I had it re soldered with "modern"solder,and it hasn't started leaking yet.