Cheap Avanti Poster Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Avanti Poster Boy

The cheap Avanti I bought today is a perfect example of the line that nothing is as expensive as a cheap Avanti. The guy bought a 63 R1 with AC that need everything for 8K and spent another 18K to make it a driver. It still needs paint chrome and interior and looks like a turd. I'll try and sell it to someone for less than it's parts value, but it is a cosmetic nightmare. We were discussing shop rates, check out these bills:

JDP Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Land of freeking Goshen

I'm going to copy these with John's permission , of course, just to show everybody why sweetolbob does his own work.

I've got less in my welder, mill and lathe than he has in labor and I've used them to build seven cars.

John's correct in that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti, if you need to hire work done.

WHEW!!

Bob

Comment

As Dave Thibeault would say......."the guy got hosed, big time"

quote:Originally posted by JDP

The cheap Avanti I bought today is a perfect example of the line that nothing is as expensive as a cheap Avanti. The guy bought a 63 R1 with AC that need everything for 8K and spent another 18K to make it a driver. It still needs paint chrome and interior and looks like a turd. I'll try and sell it to someone for less than it's parts value, but it is a cosmetic nightmare. We were discussing shop rates, check out these bills:

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Land of freeking Goshen

I'm going to copy these with John's permission , of course, just to show everybody why sweetolbob does his own work.

I've got less in my welder, mill and lathe than he has in labor and I've used them to build seven cars.

John's correct in that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti, if you need to hire work done.

WHEW!!

Bob

I felt bad for the guy, he was over 25K in with the cost of the car and work and was still 10-15K away from being done. I don't want to part it out so I'll give someone else a chance to get upside down if they farm out the work. I'm hoping to make it a driver and get 6K-7K out of the old dog.

JDP Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

WoW WoW WoW! What was the hourly rate and where was this guy buying parts. Obviously charges out list + on everything. And Shop supplies! that is crazy!![xx(] Gives those of us who build or restore cars for others a real bad name.[?]
          Good Roads
          Brian

Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by woodysrods

Gives those of us who build or restore cars for others a real bad name
            You got that right[}] This is downright offensive! I was going to take the invoices and give an estimate based on them of what we'd charge but got too pi**ed off to do so I bet mine would come in about a third to a half of that. Same thing as what the dirtbags tried to do to 'Boogs' with the 62 Lark. Unbelieveable. And don't try to tell me about "cost of running a shop", "equipment", "overhead", or any of that, been doing it over 30 years. Yes that all means high overhead, but that's just criminal.

There's a good lesson here for the old car hobbyist that doesn't have the ability to do their own work, but it applies in so many other instances in life: GET MULTIPLE ESTIMATES AND ADVICE BEFORE YOU BUY. Anytime I'm going to spend more than $100 I shop around, starting with seeing what eBay's got. Very easy to get educated these days with the internet, yet few people do for reasons beyond my comprehension[xx(]

I will say this guy did bring some of it on himself. "Fabricate and install support bracket for fuel pump- $97.50". WTF??? You don't have to be Chip Foose to know something's not right with that!

Had he done what 'Boogs' has done- come looking for info- it would have been a much better outcome for this guy. Hope somebody takes advantage and grabs this car- they can get the $130 pair of brake hoses and $28 worth of 'gumcutter'[}]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
            Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

Well, I guess he was having it done right.

I've never done one, but $1040 to install door, vent, quarterwindow, and trunk weatherstrips??? Wow.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

Well, I guess he was having it done right.

I've never done one, but $1040 to install door, vent, quarterwindow, and trunk weatherstrips??? Wow.

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Actually, that is one to two day job. At $75/hour, it's possible. I could never pay that, but the rear quarter is especially a ***** and the doors need to come off to do those. If you spend a few extra hours with stripped or broken screws, it'll add up.Not defending the charges on some of those items, but **** happens.

JDP Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I was just able to tell my wife I saved $2K in labor by rebuilding my front end myself

Thanks JDP!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP Maryland
                    Thanks for sharing that with us.

Let us all understand; some people like to boast about how cheap they got by, while others like to boast about how much they spent! An "AVANTI

Comment

many of us here have the same opinion as John, there is no such thing as a cheap Avanti. if someone calls and asks about a cr there is always a long discussion and a buyer beware message, Tis is a typical example of what can happen when an unfamiliar soul ventures into the world of Avantidom with no knowledge or advisor by his/her side. Really too bad but unfortunately not uncommon.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

many of us here have the same opinion as John, there is no such thing as a cheap Avanti. if someone calls and asks about a cr there is always a long discussion and a buyer beware message, Tis is a typical example of what can happen when an unfamiliar soul ventures into the world of Avantidom with no knowledge or advisor by his/her side. Really too bad but unfortunately not uncommon.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I just don't think it is Avanti(s) that fit into that statement. It compounds itself once a car is finished and then requires some unforeseen major work.

Bill G

Comment

I just read over the 4 pages and can't believe it.

Here's some parts costs:

$595 EACH per disk brake rotor?
                            $395.00 for an AFB carb kit?
                            $1822.00 for shop supplies?

Somebody needs to be sued for charging these prices.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                              I just read over the 4 pages and can't believe it.

Here's some parts costs:

$595 EACH per disk brake rotor?
                              $395.00 for an AFB carb kit?
                              $1822.00 for shop supplies?

Somebody needs to be sued for charging these prices.
                              Looks like he got a new Edelbrock for that. BTW, it has a near new RotoPhase distributor installed, never seen one for a Studebaker.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X