rear oil pan gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear oil pan gasket

I am just about finished rebuilding the flathead 185 for my champion and am getting ready to install the oil pan gaskets. i have a question about the rear gasket , the one that fits in the groove of the rear main bearing as it is a little bit bigger than the groove and will be a snug fit , other than going slow and working it into place do you guys have any tip or tricks to facilitate the process or anything to be watchful of while i am doing it ? The manual doesn't seem to mention anything about the installation of the rear oil gasket. Also ,what about gasket sealer i was not planning on putting any in the groove on the main bearing as it looks like it will be a snug fit anyways but i was planning on putting a dab of non harding sealant on each end of the gasket and then on the side that mates to the oil pan . any thoughts , comments ?
    thanks guys, Blake

Everyone has their own favorite technique, but I have never had a problem with slathering up all the sealing surfaces with Permatex, that includes the bottom. Cork alone, will not seal the hot oil in.

If you slowly and evenly pull those screws down, the rear ones and the rear arch gasket will all pull into place! [^]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I always 'pre-curve' that piece by attaching it to the oil pan with some really light spring clamps and letting it sit a few days. Soaking the cork piece in hot water first, before clamping it to the pan, will help too; if you do soak it make sure it sits long enough to dry out. As StudeRich mentions, everyone has their own preference; I like the liquid Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket sealent for these gaskets. To me, the liquid-type sealer helps to 'lubricate' the piece when tightening and helps the pan to snug down against this piece. Cut the heads off four longer bolts to form pilot bolts to use at the corners of the pan to position it while you are putting the rest of the pan bolts in. Tighten the pan bolts evenly and slowly.

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks for your help guys and some great tips
        Blake

Comment

Oh yeah.....DO NOT cut the end gaskets to shorten them up. You need ALL the length to seal correctly!

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
          X