PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump

studelover
02-28-2007, 01:13 AM
Before I go throwing money away I would like to ask a question, is there a way that I can tell if the power steering pump on my 1961 hawk needs a rebuild? When I turn the pulley with my hand there is suction, rather it squrts left over fluid out of the resevoir. I would hate to throw money away on a rebuild(200.00) if it is not nessesary. I noticed that while I have been working on the car and it was attached to it's hoses It did not leak.

Studebakers forever!

StudeRich
02-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Are you turning it CLOCKWISE from the front? Turning it backward might cause that, it's probably nothing to worry about since it is not the proper way to test it.

It is way cheaper and easier to install it and take a chance, unless you have info that it was run dry, damaged, leaked, did not work etc. After it has bled the air out and circulated the fluid it should be fine. Also I am sure that you could do better on the labor, since the parts cost only $15.00 ! [:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

John Kirchhoff
02-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Do as StudeRich suggests because pumps seldom wear out. A seal may spring a leak but running dry is about the only way to seriously damage them. They run at pressures considerably lower than other hydraulic applications, so pressure loss from gear wear isn't usually an issue.