GT Hawk carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk carpet

What vendor has the best match, ie. density, color, cut and fit, to original 63/64 Hawk carpet? A set that fits like it should and feels like original carpet not a T shirt. I need brown for a 64 GT. Or does someone have an original set?

Personally I'd go to Phantom Auto Works, Salem OH. 330-337-8879 and talk to kevin. I was in their shop last Saturday on the way back from South Bend to pick up a 61 Lark they had installed carpet in after we dropped it off on Thursday evening. Great job and correct color. Of course this is MHO.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I purchased this cut pile carpet set from SMS Auto Fabrics of Canby Oregon. I told them "red carpet for a '63 Hawk" and they then mailed me two free carpet samples, and I picked the one that matched the construction of the original carpet on the door panels best. My only complaint is that the carpet assembly could have been a half inch wider up front as I have a very narrow gap along the passenger kick panel.

I havent seen JDP's or Ernie Loga's sets in person, but they are more reasonably priced.

Museum wall grafitti.

In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

though my seats were dead on, the carpet set was a bit short where the front tab meets the hinge posts. Also, the front carpet just barely covers the rear carpet and has no vinyl bead on the edge....I assume it will have runs and tatters sometime soon

Comment

Brent, It appears your carpet set is missing the rear narrow section at the seat cushion to floor interface and the two small square pieces at the door pillars? Did they offer a black heel pad? Have you installed it yet?
          jackb, where did you get yours? It seems like these carpet guys really skimp on carpet dimensions.

Comment

One more pic of the new carpeting in place. There is a small amount of uncarpeted area under the front seat cushions. Had the front or rear carpet been about 1 inch longer, it would have all been covered. I ordered extra matching carpet to redo the kick panels and door panel bottoms and rear window shelf, and I had enough extra to fill in under the seats (which wouldnt be noticable to anyone anyway). I would assume that if you specify a black heel pad that they would give that to you. By the way, the OEM vinyl for the seats came from them also.
            sigpic

Comment

my carpet came from Phantom.....Milaca..if I'm not mistaken, the split between front and rear carpet should break about mid-way under the seats

Comment

Milaca, What color of red is the exterior of your Hawk?
                Allen

Comment

Shouldn't GT hawks have "loop" pile carpet, rather than cut pile? Certainly my '63 that I purchased new had a brown loop carpet that Rene Harger claimed wasn't available in the US 'till 1965. Go figure! When the local Studebaker dealer prepped the car for delivery in July 1963, he cut a small piece of the carpet from under the passenger seat to line the console bottom. This was the piece that Rene saw that caused him to believe that the carpets had been replaced, but they were what Studebaker Canada installed. The point of this story is to suggest that the size of loop can be smaller than that installed in the US and still be authentic.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

Milaca, What color of red is the exterior of your Hawk?
                    Allen

The photograph is misleading, but it unfortunately isnt a factory shade of red (previous owner repaint). It looks similar to your car but with a touch of orange...similar to the 1960's Ford Rangoon Red. When the day comes that I finally repaint it, I may paint it the original white or jazz it up with metallic Avanti red.
                    sigpic

Comment

As for authentic carpet in my '63 Hawk, the original kick panels and door panels had cut pile carpet and so I would assume that the floor would also have been cut pile. I'm not a fan of loop pile being that it gets snagged, which causes the fibers to get pulled outward (as evidenced by the previous replacement carpet that came in my car). Authentic or not, I like my cut pile carpet.
                      sigpic

Comment

Another SDC vendor you might want to consider is Jim Lawrence (FBN Upholstery, Inc.)
                        (304) 337-8693. He has a 1962 GT Hawk with original interior so the dimensions should be right on. I had him make red carpets for my 62 GT and can share before and after pictures if you like.

Peter Bishop

Comment

Nels, I believe that vertical seat cushion to floor piece is missing from a couple of popular vendor's sets. One of them, to my knowledge, claims Hawks weren't covered in carpet there from the factory. I think, in this instance, they need to get more involved with their details.

Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you are speaking of the rear carpet, it is tucked under the rear seat cushion on my car.
                            sigpic

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread and clogging up the forum, I'll restart this one. I need kick panels for my 62 Hawk and wondering if the are carpet covered or just painted, black, I assume in my case.
                              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X