Well, now I've seen everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, now I've seen everything!

Yesterday, I was taking apart a '64 OHV six that had been out in the weather, and had the pistons seized in the block.

I took the rear main bearing cap off, and noticed some "stuff" packed in the groove where the oil slinger goes. At first, I thought some insect had built a nest in there. Closer examination revealed several filter-tip cigarettes carefully packed in there, end-to-end, and the same in the matching groove in the block. You could still smell the tobacco.

This engine was probably last apart in the late '70s or early '80s.

Anybody here ever hear of packing that groove with cigarettes in order to control rear main seal oil leaks?

One bonus: I got an aluminum timing gear out of it, so it was a good thing I decided to strip the block rather than scrap it intact.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Nope...Never heard of that before..
    But now I'll be looking for a string, or something

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Somewhere in my past I remember an echo of this...

Chris Pile
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hey Gord, Was that out of a truck?

Comment

Maybe there is hope for cigarette butts after all-

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

That boggles the mind. A new low in CASO behavior. So I guess he had clean, filtered, menthol flavored oil dripping on his driveway.

Comment

If I remember right, the engine had been in a '56 Champion sedan, and I used it in a '61 lark for a while, until it was replaced by a 259.

Comment

Working...
              X