Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags: Last Chance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags: Last Chance!

'Thought I had better start a new thread in that the other one about the event being cancelled might be misunderstood.(I know Clark didn't mean it that way, but I cannot change the Subject in that I didn't start the thread.)

Cancelling implies that an already-scheduled event has been, well, cancelled. That isn't true in this case, in that the scheduled 2010 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race is going to take place as advertised and as scheduled.

That said, promoters Dan Jensen and Bob Boden have indicated they will not schedule a 2011 race, but that is over a year away. They have had legal protection in place several years for an event known The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, so if someone else picks it up and wants to call the event by that name, they will likely have to buy the rights to do so from Dan and Bob, which is certainly appropriate: Dan and Bob have poured countless hours into this event over the last 16+ years, and deserve the right to be compensated if someone wants to piggy-back on their efforts and the event's resulting good name.

Anyway, back to the 2010 event.

The 2010 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race is scheduled for Friday, September 17 and Saturday, September 18, 2010. Same place as ever: The Mid-Michigan Motorplex northeast of Stanton Michigan. The roads to the area are not close to an Interstate, but are not to be feared. All are pleasant, wide state and federal highways that are in good shape and a pleasure to drive on.

There are no motels in Stanton, but there are two in nearby Edmore: The Edmore Inn, which is, ahem, primitive, and Maxwell's Inn. Maxwell's is full by now, but The Edmore Inn might not be. The next closest motels are in Alma. There may still be rooms available in Alma.

Team Studebaker is planning to race at least The Stude Tomato, and George Krem may be done detailing The Plain Brown Wrapper so it could return one last time. I sure hope so. (The event being discontinued after this year may spur George into action, but I have yet to communicate with him about it.)[}]

Undoubtedly, John and Chuck Kerns will race their Avanti, and Peter Sant and Richard Poe and John Raab and who knows how many other Studes. So if you want to experience the event beyond what we are able to print in the annual Turning Wheels report, you've got four months to make plans.

Trust us, and those who have attended previously, it will be worth your time to try to make it this one last time. We hope to see an even bigger Studebaker crowd than normal, so be there or be square.[] (Geeze, is that an old expression....you'd think I was in my mid-60s or something. Come to think of it...and Ted Harbit turned 75 last Friday! Where do the years go?) [8D]BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hey Bob,

You can count me in to participate in the PSMCDR this September too.

My Hawk will be in fine performance by the time September comes along and I am finally looking forward to participate in this event.

I wanted to come two years ago but had transmission slipping problems, with burnt out clutches. Last year I was too heavily involved with house renovations, but this year is different!

I've changed the differential gear set to a lower ratio, the transmission has been rebuilt, new HD torque converter, my carburetor is repaired but I am still fine tuning it with jet sizes and metering rods.

I've resolved the flapper valve problem with a NOS unit and the #2 exhaust valve and seat has been re-ground and is now sealing. I'll be out in the shop today putting the engine back together and firing up the Hawk for the a problem free summer before the weekend!

I'm looking forward to this September. See you there.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Best be going this year for sure
      Allen , we'll have to meet for breakfast in Port Huron again

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      1966 Daytona
      sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Sure thing Bob... I just have to Caroline up and out of bed at 4:00 am in the morning to meet up with you for breakfast. Should not be to big of a problem since she really want to come to this event and talks about it all the time.

quote:2R5 Posted - 05/12/2010 : 08:31:27 AM

Best be going this year for sure
        Allen , we'll have to meet for breakfast in Port Huron again

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        1966 Daytona
        If this will be the last of the Pure Stock Drag Races I will be participating and know you will be there watching the races. This is one fun event! The PSMCDR was the one reason I built the car in the first place and have yet to have it on the track.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
        Oakville, Ontario.
        Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Ahhhhh.....the Edmore Inn. The next closest thing to sleeping in a toilet. Bring your OWN blankets, pillows, towels and toilet paper. OH! And bring your own spray disinfectant and a can of Scrubbing Bubbles to wash down the previous occupant's pubic hairs down the drain in the shower.[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

We have our rooms booked at Maxfield's so we'll see you guys there!!

I just wonder that because this is Dan and Bob's last year for running the event, if we can now cheat......er...."interpret the rules" to our heart's delight???? Oh Wait! That's what got us into this mess to begin with!

Frank Remlinger
          Detroit, Michigan
          SDC# A004602R
          Frank Remlinger
          Detroit, Michigan
          SDC# A004602R

Comment

Did I miss something? Why is it being discontinued?

Don Wilson
            53 Commander Hardtop
            64 Champ 1/2 ton
            Centralia, WA
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ddub

Did I miss something? Why is it being discontinued?

Don:

Read about it here on the Pure Stock Forum on the V8 Buick Board:

That should give you a general idea what had happened. This has been brewing for a couple of years and was not a overnight decision by the organizers.

Frank Remlinger
              Detroit, Michigan
              SDC# A004602R
              Frank Remlinger
              Detroit, Michigan
              SDC# A004602R

Comment

Apologies for the confusion my topic title imparted - I've fixed it now. Sorry Bob, but the Forum appreciates your follow-up!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

We have been going almost every year since the Studes have been running and has always been a Great Time! Didnt get my R-2 Commander done in time but my son has been running our very original Rambler Scrambler and made the front page of the ad for this years race. This has been a growing type of event so maybe its not gone, but someone new will take it over. See you there! Ed George

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr Speed 53

Didn't get my R-2 Commander done in time but my son has been running our very original Rambler Scrambler and made the front page of the ad for this years race. See you there! Ed George
                    Nah, Ed; they used that picture of Eddie in the Scrambler because Ted Harbit and The Stude Tomato are in the upper left corner of the photo![}][][:0] (Seriously, it is a nice photo; congrats on the placement front and center.) [8D]BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If that was an acton shot Ted would be in front and the Rambler trailing behind! Shure has been Fun and look forward to other events with you guys. Ed

Comment

If that was an acton shot Ted would be in front and the Rambler trailing behind! Shure has been Fun and look forward to other events with you guys. Ed

Comment

Thanks for the link Frank. Too bad, often a good thing gets ruined by folks looking for an edge.

Don Wilson
                          53 Commander Hardtop
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton
                          Centralia, WA
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Comment

Well, isn't this wonderful timing! After years of attending the PSMCDR as a spectator, I have decided that 2012 would be the year to have my SuperLark finished. What better way of celebrating the return of the International Meet to the home town of both Studebaker and myself. And this followed by the car's debut at my favorite race of all time, the PSMCDR. As always, a year late and a pile of $ too short.

R2Andy

Seriously people, you've got 2 races left... Don't miss it!
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X