Turbo Flat 6 Pictures Found.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Flat 6 Pictures Found.

I just found a couple of pictures of my old turbo flat 6 that I ran several years ago. I had forgotten just how crude it was, but here it is in all its glory.
    The first pic is just a preliminary mock up of how everything was going to go together. Note the home made intake and the modified exhaust. Also see the high tech PVC elbow on the intake bonnet.

Here is the engine in its final form. I spared no expense to make it the show piece it deserved to be. See??? I even included a battery hold down. Actually, I had forgotten just how crude it all was, but Boy O Boy did it GO ! ! ! What a riot. I'm even starting to think it may be worth doing again.

sals54
    sals54

That's awesome Sal![^]

I love it. I wonder if I could do that on Rose's car...[}]

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Careful Fred. Messing with the Super Coop might get you in some very hot water.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Fred, the only problem is that Rose would notice the difference if you changed the spark plugs, let alone the entire engine/intake/exhaust system. In fact, considering the amount of attention she gave to the Sky Hawk, you couldn't change the oil without her noticing. Now, then, perhaps I could interest you in a dual turbo for the Sky Hawk??? I will try to have pictures of that mocked up in the next couple months.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Thats awesome! What happened to your set up?

Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Flat 6?

Don Wilson
            53 Commander Hardtop
            64 Champ 1/2 ton
            Centralia, WA
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Lol...you guys know her pretty well!

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Dylan, I still have the setup in the barn. Its no longer on the engine, though. I have the intake, carb, exhaust, turbo, oil lines and the bonnet. If I do it again, I'll include a pop-off valve, a flapper valve and possibly even a wastegate. I was not controlling the boost in the configuration shown above. It was just something to do while my R1 was getting rebuilt. This setup was running up to 14 lbs of boost at 4000 rpms and still wanting to accelerate. I had to drive it with one eye on the tach and one eye on the boost gage. If I set it up again, I'll try to make it more steetable by controlling the boost to around 8 or 9 lbs max. That would make plenty of power and not cook the pistons, although, someone was just telling me that if I were to use E85 alchohol enhanced gas, I probably could stay over 10 lbs. We'll see what happens next.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

That is cool! As much as I love the old flatties, they certainly can use the help[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                  Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the same turbo build I read about a number of years ago.
                    Here's a link to that turbo flat 6.

*********************************************************************
                    Never Drive Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly.

My 1950 Studebaker Streetrod Project

Comment

Thats Greg's site. He was building a car to run high speed at Bonneville. I have not corresponded with him in some time, but we shared emails for a while. Some of our shared info is on the "other nuts" section on his website.

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

That's where I got the idea for the turbo on pickup, was from Greg's site .

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0413001627.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/th_0321001800.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000145.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/th_P1000136.jpg[/IMG=right]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                        X