259ci Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259ci Diesel

Many years ago my dad started designing a diesel 259. Some have said that the Stude block is just as tough as some diesel blocks. I figure 259 because of the pin overlap. It would take lots of work, but wouldn't it be cool? GM made the 350 diesel and I've heard it was a hunk a junk. I don't see why someone couldn't make a 259 diesel. Just a thought.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Probably a lot less complicated to accomplish today than in your fathers day, what with the advent of electronic fuel injection.
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Probably a lot less complicated to accomplish today than in your fathers day, what with the advent of electronic fuel injection.
      Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
      Brooklet, Georgia
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Actually the Olds 350 diesel was a great highway car. Some of my customers got as much as 32 mpg with it. A lot of insurance salesman bought one after another. They loved them. Too many car salesman sold them to people who should not have bought them. The real killer was the EGR system recirculating that crap back through the intake. You could stick your fingers in the intake and pull out a handfull of black mud.

Claude Chmielewski
        Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
        47 M-16 Truck
        62 GT Hawk
        63 Lark
        64 Commander Wagonaire
        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
        [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/dakota01.jpg[/img=left]
        "One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their
        communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how
        honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked
        matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not
        much in fashion anymore."
        1936 Dictator
        1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
        1953 Commander Regal HT
        1953 2R5 Pickup
        1947 M16 Truck
        1960 Lark VIII Convertible
        1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
        1962 Champ 7E5 no box
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Lark VI 4 dr
        1963 GT Hawk R2
        1964 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Actually the Olds 350 diesel was a great highway car. Some of my customers got as much as 32 mpg with it. A lot of insurance salesman bought one after another. They loved them. Too many car salesman sold them to people who should not have bought them. The real killer was the EGR system recirculating that crap back through the intake. You could stick your fingers in the intake and pull out a handfull of black mud.

Claude Chmielewski
          Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
          47 M-16 Truck
          62 GT Hawk
          63 Lark
          64 Commander Wagonaire
          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
          [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/dakota01.jpg[/img=left]
          "One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their
          communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how
          honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked
          matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not
          much in fashion anymore."
          1936 Dictator
          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
          1953 Commander Regal HT
          1953 2R5 Pickup
          1947 M16 Truck
          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
          1963 GT Hawk R2
          1964 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Boy, oh Boy, I sure could have used Jake's Champ instead of mine today. It's a good thing that these old Stude motors lug along so well. Whilst climbing the driveway today, I kept repeating like a mantra; just don't stall, just don't stall...[:0]

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Boy, oh Boy, I sure could have used Jake's Champ instead of mine today. It's a good thing that these old Stude motors lug along so well. Whilst climbing the driveway today, I kept repeating like a mantra; just don't stall, just don't stall...[:0]

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I had an 81 olds with a Mr.Goodwrench diesel engine my wife parked her lincoln and drove the olds.Reason:35 mpg compared to 12mpg.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

I had an 81 olds with a Mr.Goodwrench diesel engine my wife parked her lincoln and drove the olds.Reason:35 mpg compared to 12mpg.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

there was a diesel lark at the Martinsburg WV meet last year....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

there was a diesel lark at the Martinsburg WV meet last year....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

The biggest problem with the Chevy 350 diesel was the block. It was strong enough when used as a gas engine but with diesel use, especially hard use in a truck, the block flexed too much. According to my friend that had one, the injection pump was one of those things that worked when it worked, but when it didn't, you went and bought a new one for $1000.

Comment

The biggest problem with the Chevy 350 diesel was the block. It was strong enough when used as a gas engine but with diesel use, especially hard use in a truck, the block flexed too much. According to my friend that had one, the injection pump was one of those things that worked when it worked, but when it didn't, you went and bought a new one for $1000.

Comment

quote:The biggest problem with the Chevy 350 diesel was the block.
                            My points exactly John. Sooo... back to my original question do you think a 259 could handle it?

Jake

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

quote:The biggest problem with the Chevy 350 diesel was the block.
                              My points exactly John. Sooo... back to my original question do you think a 259 could handle it?

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X