Lark window regulator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark window regulator problem

When I first got my '59 Lark hardtop, I replaced the driver's side door window. It has never rolled all the way down. It stays up about 2", I can push it down to about 1", but it'll spring back. If you keep cranking the handle at the end of it's travel, the window starts to come up a little (?)! The regulator looks brand new, works smoothly throughout it's range. Looking at it on the bench, nothing binds, it travels from stop to stop. I replaced the pass. door awhile ago, no problems with the window. I re-used the orig. reg. Is it possible that the driver's side reg. was replaced with the wrong one? Also, the retainers from the window to reg. were missing, I used E-clips which are hard to get on and off. Is there a Stude part that fits properly?

Art Rigsby

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc, 700R4, 8.8" rear w/ 3.73 gears

Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

Since your car is more than 50 years old, it's possible that it has the wrong window regulator in it, or that it has been improperly repaired. When the spring is replaced, the regulator has to be in the proper orientation -- perhaps that wasn't done. With the regulator installed in the door and the window glass out, you should be able to see whether the regulator arm is going far enough down.

Do you have a shop manual? It describes how to line everything up, and would give you an indication of which component isn't working right. And a body parts book would give you the part number of the correct clips -- though I'm not suggesting that they'd be any easier to install. Many vendors sell reprints of both books (and the chassis parts book) and all three are also available on CD.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks, Skip. Thinking about it that makes sense. They say two heads are better than one! I'm glad the #$%& clips are hard to install and it wasn't just me.
      On the shop manuals, " I tried everything, nothing worked, then I read the instructions." comes to mind.......Ordering them up today. [B)]

Comment

I've used Stude rollers and clips to repair my sisters 66 Mustang window. They are the same. Maybe your FLAPS would have what you need.

Gordon

Comment

Thanks Gordon, do you remember what those clips looked like? The previous "repairman" used wire wrpped arond the retainer grove. Probably why the window was broken. The e-clips hold well, real pain to r&r.

Thanks, Art Rigsby

Comment

Found the right clips. One supplier's picture wrongly showed a washer, the other showed a clip similar to the door handle clip. Good to go.

Art Rigsby

Comment

Glad to hear you got the clips. I'm just getting to the computer tonight. I had to fix my daughters window on her 64 Cruiser. Had the clips in hand earlier. Window wouldn't roll up on a rain day today.[:0] Its her daily driver for high school.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
              X