C/K hood latch(revised 10/5/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K hood latch(revised 10/5/10)

Why don't C/K hood latches stay latched...does anyone know??? Something has changed on my car...the hood always comes unlatched, this started last summer and happened about one a month. This year it happens every time I drive it. It looks to be okay, its lubricated, and moves freely. Any idea what is going on with it? Do these latches just wear out? Thanks, Junior

May 10:
    After looking at my latch a little closer, it appears that someone has modified the lever on the plate assembly by taking pie-cuts out of it and bending it to a different profile...this lead me to the parts manual...which lead me to discover that 53 C/K plate assemblies and levers have different part numbers from 54 C/K's. I have no idea what is in my car.

Does anyone know what the difference is between 53 and 54 hood latches? Can they be swapped with each other and still work? Thanks for any info. Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

I have heard this to be an issue--I'm going to fit a hairpin cotter to the male piece that goes into the latch.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Here You go !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
      Lewisville,NC
      1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
      Lewisville,NC

Comment

Nice. That's just the ticket.

'53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E
        '53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Thanks Ken, I've seen a photo of your solution before, and I was going to do that to my car until I realized on a 54 coupe its a PITA to get that pin in(as in I have to lay on my back to get my arm up to the pin) so I came up with a safety strap solution that uses a tailgate cable from a modern truck tailgate cable to stop the hood from flying up if both factory latches failed. This still does not address [u]why</u> the factory hood latches fail in the first place, and still makes me wonder why mine fails to hold the hood down on a daily basis. I'm going to have to take a real good look at all the components...just thought someone could give some insight as to why these latches fail. Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I think it is probably more of an issue of the front sheet metal [which holds the latch] moving around.Not really the latch itself.

Oglesby,Il.
            " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The plate under the pin bolts to the lower cowling with 4 rivnuts. They seem to deteriorate over time. Mine was just being held down with one bolt instead of 4. Replaced that all with grade 8 bolts and nuts and flat washers. Also check the mechanism that grasps the pin. Make sure it has full movement, and that the mechanism move easily.

Comment

Here's how I fixed my hood latch.

Slide show here,

Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...