How about SB tours??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about SB tours??

Will there be any organized tours or open house-type events at the old SASCO, foundry, SI? Just wondering, we've got a lot to cram into a day and a half[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    Ephesians 6:10-17

The new Studebaker International location is planning to be open for business and informal tours as time and personnel allow, Bob. They will be open at the new location all day Friday and most of the day Saturday. Directions have been posted here and will be around the fairgrounds as well. Both are on the south side of South Bend and easy to find.

South Benders will have to post as to the "open-ness" of the old SASCO/Engineering Building. If it's accessible at all, it is probably going to be "toured" as an urban safari; i.e., you're on your own!

The Foundry is still occupied by Underground Pipe and Valve, so you can try to sneak in if you want, but you are trespassing if you do.[:0] (Personally, I've never advocated or participated in any such underhanded exploration.)

Even if you don't go on the Foundry property, you can drive around three sides of it and get a good feel for its [albeit-decrepit] majesty.[V] (It's always been my favorite building, in that it so represented the drama, strength, and magnitude of American industry.)

Be sure to stop by The Studebaker National Museum between 6 and 8 pm Friday evening, for an ongoing memorial to Phil Brown. Even if you didn't know Phil personally, I'm sure you'll feel like you did after you've attended the planned memorial.[^]

You're in for a great, fast-paced couple days. Keep moving so you don't miss a thing![] [8D]BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Stopped in to pick up an order and Tom Molnar was giving tours. My group included Stu Chapman and his wife, Tbow,and some others. it's great!!!!!

dustybob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

The new Studebaker International location is planning to be open for business and informal tours as time and personnel allow, Bob. They will be open at the new location all day Friday and most of the day Saturday. Directions have been posted here and will be around the fairgrounds as well. Both are on the south side of South Bend and easy to find.

South Benders will have to post as to the "open-ness" of the old SASCO/Engineering Building. If it's accessible at all, it is probably going to be "toured" as an urban safari; i.e., you're on your own!

The Foundry is still occupied by Underground Pipe and Valve, so you can try to sneak in if you want, but you are trespassing if you do.[:0] (Personally, I've never advocated or participated in any such underhanded exploration.)

Even if you don't go on the Foundry property, you can drive around three sides of it and get a good feel for its [albeit-decrepit] majesty.[V] (It's always been my favorite building, in that it so represented the drama, strength, and magnitude of American industry.)

Be sure to stop by The Studebaker National Museum between 6 and 8 pm Friday evening, for an ongoing memorial to Phil Brown. Even if you didn't know Phil personally, I'm sure you'll feel like you did after you've attended the planned memorial.[^]

You're in for a great, fast-paced couple days. Keep moving so you don't miss a thing![] [8D]BP
        As of 6:30 pm this evening (5.6.10) the word going around here was [u]NOhttp://www.ci.south-bend.in.us/city/..._the_mayor.asp

[)]

Donnie N., owner of Underground Pipe and Valve, is concerned about non-authorized people driving & parking in the company's yard while forklifts and trucks load and unloading materials.

Chris D. or anyone else PLEASE jump in with any later/different info.

Comment

After spending most of the day at the fairgrounds, we did a short visit at Stude Intl.(thanks Ed for a very nice place),and an impromptu drive past the old Sasco. Doesn't look like you'd be able to stop for a look, but was still neat to drive by. Off to dinner at Tippecanoe Place soon, and will hit the museum some time tommorrow. It is really neat to be a part of this and see where our studes were born! B.V.

Comment

Here are two photos (of several) from a tour today at SI:

It's amazing how much stuff is there. The first photo shows about 1/3 or so of the total bins of parts. The second shows about 1/10th or so of the sheet metal room.

larger pics here (more after tomorrow): http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore...el=album&id=24

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
            53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I took the tour today and was just totally amazed. Wall to wall parts and very well organized. Special thanks to Ed and his crew, they'll hlep keep our cars and trucks on the road for a long long time!

Packardbakerly,
              J.D.
              sigpic

Packardbakerly,
              J.D.

Comment

Working...
              X