Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still available?

Need a new Stude Avanti gas cap.

The rubber on my original will not hold back gas overflow and as a result the q-panel is getting butchered!!

Any specific recommendations for a cap....reg or locking.

Thanks........

Most locking caps will hit the door and prevent it from closing, stay with a standard cap that is very shallow.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There's a replacement cap made by Stant. I found one at Pep Boys when I needed one though it's different in appearance than the original equipment cap. According to Stant's application guide, the standard cap is part number 10623 and the locking cap is part number 10491. I can't vouch for the locking cap fitting without interfering with the gas cap door.

One thing I did with my car to keep the body area under the gas cap from being damaged from gas fillers is to get a "fuel protector" for a '75-'78 Corvette. It's a piece of black rubber that fits under the gas filler neck and folds over the gas cap when the furl door is closed. It keeps from hurting the paint and keeps spills off the paint as well. It works great. It costs something like $7.00...cheap for what it does, though you can make your own.

Here's a photo from a Vette supplier website (Corvette Central).

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The non locking Stant cap is very hard to put on and off........it is too large for the space behind t he gas door. I think the cap that came on the car was smaller and had a raised portion for the fingers to grab on to.

Comment

Can you post us a pic and measurements of the original one you have? I have a box of oddball gas caps I have gained over the years and might have something that will work but no Avanti to try them on. Steve

sigpic

Comment

I think that's been a problem since day one. Most Avantis back in the day had bleached out rear quarters from the gas tank being over filled. Are you sure a gas cap will fix the problem or just reduce it?

Comment

How do I post a picture of the cap that is listed for avanti but is actually too large?

Comment

Working...
              X