Finally -- Unstuck !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally -- Unstuck !

I bought a 53 Champion hdtp a few years ago, strictly for the very good body it has. It is a 3 speed overdrive trans. Anyway, the motor has been stuck for a number of years- over 30 and I got a wild hair to see if I could free it up. After soaking for weeks with oil, then trying the 50/50 ps fluid and acetone mix, I could still not get it to budge. I then pulled the head and soaked some more using the above mix and other penetrating oils. I even took my torch and carefully heated things up to no avail. I tapped on the valve and pistons using a flat disc and being careful not to hit too hard. Finally, between using a pry bar against the ring gear going one way, then switching over to the crank bolt going the other way--it started to budge! Now the engine is free and I think I'm going to get a head gasket and see if I can crank it up.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Congrats!...and wish me luck too.

I've been soaking a 185 for abour a year.

Comment

Comment

Comment

My guess is you'll be wasting your time based on how badly stuck it was, especially if you were banging on a valve against the cam.

JDP Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, tapping, not banging!
            The stude V8 I recently freed up had been stuck even longer. When it was finally cranked up, it smoked like it was running on diesel for a few minutes and started clearing up. By the third start, it was almost smoke free.
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I would like to see the piston rings. I guaranty they are cemented to the piston grooves.

Comment

Well, I was waiting for parts to come in to do another job and decided I would screw around with the 53 Champion engine and see if I could get it running. I changed the head gasket,points, condenser, rotor cap, rotor, plug wires and put new plugs in along with a 12 volt coil. Fiddle farted around with the carb some. Fuel pump was toast and the later champion pump I have would not clear the engine mount bracket so I purchased an electric pump and redneck rigged it up. Hooked up for 12 volt negative ground. Had already dropped out the old oil and put in fresh Dello 400. Turned it over and it hit a few times and quite when I took my hand off the remote starter button. Changed the coil wire to the hot side of the starter solenoid. (dummy) Engine started and ran! Smoked like a pile of tires on fire! Warmed it up and shut down. started again a few times and a little less smoke each time. Checked the new rotor button and it felt loose so I put some tin foil in to take up the slack, set the timing and it runs like a cracker jack now! 40 lbs oil pressure on inside guage (forgot, I put a new oil flex line on too-- old one was dry rotted and cracked) Rev it up and no knocks just sweet revvvvvvvv! Jacked the rear end off the ground and with engine running, pressed clutch in and went thru all the gears.A lot less smoke now. Fires up now just touching the starter button. Hasn't run since the late 60's very early 70's.
                64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Very, very cool. People tend to give up too soon on stuck engines, as you have proven. Sure, some can't come back without a rebuild, but many more can than are tried. Thanks for the good lesson!
                  Last edited by Bob Andrews; 07-17-2010, 07:25 PM.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

ok...drive the snot out of it now

Comment

One of the great joys of this hobby is resurrecting a car that's been dead for 20 or 30 years. I bought a 1960 Lark 259 back in 1991 that hadn't run since 1970. A few hours work and she roared to life! One of the best moments I've had messing around with old cars. Russ Farris
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

My 51 Champion is virtually Smoke Free after setting dormat for years with valves stuck open. I have been starting it and letting it run a few minutes a couple times a week since May. Studebaker built some tough motors. Still kicking around stuffing a Stude v-8 in it if I could find one close to home, but the champ 6 will work for the time being.
                        59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
                        51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                        27 Ford Roadster
                        Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Working...
                        X