Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Sending Unit $170?! Option B?

Good Evening,

Since am getting my gas tank clean and seal is a good time to replace my fuel sending unit that does not read accurate. I call a couple of places and only one shop so far have it ( don't want to mention name) and they want $170 plus $45 core charge. Is there any other way/sending unit I can install that have a rod and still work with my stock gauge. I hate to pay that much if i can find one that can do the job without costing that much.

This is mine.

1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

You say that the current gauge is inaccurate, but working. Basically, all that you have there is a wire resistor with a wiper to produce a variable resistance. It appears that the unit is quite corroded (quite normal). What I have done in the past is to clean the wiper and resistor.

Before starting, use an analog ohm meter to check the value of the gauge as you move the arm through its travel. You will probably see the needle jump all over the scale, as the wiper isn't making good contact. Buy a spray can of electrical contact cleaner to squirt on the resistor and arm. Work it back and forth and see if your ohm readings stabilize. Another option for cleaning is to soak the unit in household vinegar. Rinse and dry the unit after cleaning.

At last resort, you can grind off the rivet heads and disassemble the unit to clean it. Be very careful not to damage the wiper arm. Make sure that the arm has adequate pressure on the resistor. It may need bent slightly. The unit can then be re-assembled using pop rivets.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

soak in 50/50 Draino/water for 1 hour. Rinse/soak in hot water for several to many "dunks". Connect tank gage to trunk wire. Operate float arm--watch gage in dash...adjust as neccessary. Usually you want to know what is "empty" don't be disappointed if "full" never registers....That's the least tank level seen in operation....

Comment

Search this Forum for "fuel gage repair" or "sending unit repair". I did a thread on this some time ago; with pictures, I think.

In a nutshell, the bronze spring wiper inside that can was made with a small raised "nub" on the end that contacted the wire-wound resistance unit at ONE point. Age and wear have worn that nub down to a donut, that spans 3 or 4 turns of that same resistance unit. Depending on whether the front edge or the back edge of that "donut" contacts the wire, the gage pointer can read a pointer's width or more too high or too at any given time.

It's not a particularly hard repair to do.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

This must be the post.

nibbs53

Comment

I've taken a cheaper sender and added the fuel inlet tube.

JDP Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I've taken a cheaper sender and added the fuel inlet tube.
              Exactly! [^]

While your Radiator shop is boiling out and sealing your tank, have them weld/solder in a new fuel pickup at the front of the tank that curves down to maybe 3/8" to 1/2" from the bottom to pick-up the fuel and lengthen the fuel line to reach & couple to it.

Then you can use a much cheaper (1549575 $85.00) sender without the fuel line in it. [^]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What about the $30 to $40 universal ones from Jegs or similar retailers? What ohm range do Studes require?

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Autometer universal adjustable model 3262. ohms...240/33..jegs or summit..

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

It would be a good idea to tell us what car you are working on.
                    If it is 1956-57 than the fuel pickup is built into the sender.
                    Earlier and later the fuel pickup came directly from a connection on the tank.
                    The universal units do not have that.
                    The brass float you shoe was used in some trucks,

Comment

Is for a 1957 Studebaker President sedan. I already bought an AUTOMETER universal sending unit with the same OHM rating. Now I just need to find maybe in HOME DEPOT (anybody seeing something similar there?) something like the picture to weld into the tank or what have you guys adapt as a pickup tube/rod?

JustGasTanks is your source for aftermarket gas tanks for dirt bikes, atvs, motorcycles, cars, trucks, boats, & more. Enjoy free shipping on orders over $200!

Maybe I should just open a second hole in the tank to install the AUTOMETER sending unit and install my original sending unit with pickup in its original hole just so i can use the pickup tube of it.
                      1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Comment

My Chrysler Concord fuel gauge was not working properly.

The dealer's solution was to replace it and the fuel pump it is attached to. Cost quoted was about $800.

What's a bargain?

Comment

On my 62 Champ pickup i bought a fuel sending unit from Sumitt same ohmn
                          rating as Studebaker.You would have to have a pickup tube soldered
                          in your tank.

Lenny
                          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

sigpic

David King

1964 Studebaker Commander
                            1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
                            1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (56)
                            1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (83)
                            1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

SDC Member#: A011937K