Mallory Dual Point Dist for Stude ? PIX Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallory Dual Point Dist for Stude ? PIX Added

I found a Mallory Dual Point Dist for a Stude in a box of stuff. Does anyone know an approximate value???

sals54
    sals54

I have dual point early Delco off of a 232. I have the same question.

55pres- Cascade Chapter Oregon

Comment

I paid T-bow $375 for an electronic Mallory. 25 years ago I used to sell Mallory dual point distributors in an auto parts store. They were about $79.95. Never recall ordering one for a Stude though. But figuring in rarity and inflation, it's gotta be worth a tidy sum.

quote:Originally posted by sals54

I found a Mallory Dual Point Dist for a Stude in a box of stuff. Does anyone know an approximate value???

sals54
      edp/NC
      '63 Avanti
      '66 Commander
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Only what the economy can bare!
        Good Roads
        Brian

Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I would think its value is more as a unique piece of equipment in a parts collection as technology has passed it by. I think most would prefer a Pertronix or go to the T-Bow conversion for a car that's driven. The Mallory might be worth something to someone who wants a street rod built with contemporary speed equipment, but again...technology has passed it by.

Would points, condenser, rotor and cap for it even be available?

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Easy to have it both ways. Keep the sex appeal of the Mallory label and put a Pertronix inside.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

I've heard there has been a problem with shafts of the Mallory HEI distributors for the R-engines ???

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

What model Mallory?

It depends which one you have and how many lobes it has on the shaft, as to a value. Mallory makes an electronic conversion for at least one of the vintage models with the two piece style cap. Which makes it desireable.

Scott

Comment

I can't get to it tonight, but I'll post a picture tomorrow. My first impression when I saw it was... Magneto????, but then I took note of the short cap. Thanks for the comments.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

Hey Sal,
                    I have one also. Is yours a whole Mallory dist? Mine is a conversion that uses an external Mallory condenser. It also uses the Stude cap, rotor.

Gordon

Comment

This one appears to be original equipment Mallory. It has the Mallory cap and Mallory tag with a dust shield over the points and a slightly different rotor. The condensor is mounted on the outside of the housing.

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

For years my Hawk ran a Mallory conversion plate inside an OLD Delco distributor, with that big Mallory condensor on the outside. I still have that distributor, but finally dumped it when the plate got wobbley.

My main recollection is that it was a royal pain to find points. Toward the end I was forced to take new points with copper contact strips, and replace the strips with soldered wire so the the advance could move.

Comment

Here are a few shots of the distributor. It has 4 lobes on the cam. It appears to be tight with all parts working, though electrically, that may be a different story. I haven't even cleaned anything yet, so this is how it was found in all its glory.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

I LIKE POINTS,and I like Mallory. If I break down, I like
                            to open the cap and see if I got fire I am using Mallory
                            Rev-Pol in my " period correct" 53, survivor Offy- Stude.
                            Here's a shot of the distributor. I bought a used one for
                            I believe 275 (really nice) with coil and Nos switch. I bought a NOS one (in the box) for 300 with coil, without switch.

And here is a shot of it installed, with, of course, Packard 440 wire.

And here's the dash switch to go with it.

You can still get points, but I probably won't live long enough to use up the one's I have. Thanks Sal for posting this. I like this old kinda stuff.

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Comment

Tex, That is one slick looking operation you've got. I've been selling off all my old stuff. I'm even selling my JT R1 engine with 4 speed and my R1 engine as well. The JTS is already gone.

sals54
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X