Rear Main Seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Main Seal replacement

Have heard different ways of doing it, but will my mechanic have to drop the trans or the engine, and what is average man hours for this process? Thanks.

It is recommended to do the Timing Cover Gasket and Seal at the same time since they are interconnected, but the Oil Pan Gaskets and Rear main Seal CAN be done alone, AND in the car.

The Studebaker Time Guide says the Timing Cover Gasket & Seal should take 2.1 Hrs. for a Commander 8.
    Add 0.3 hrs. For a Sedan.
    Add 0.1 hrs. for Power steering.

I could not find the main Seal & Pan Gasket, but based on the above, probably 3 Hrs. add 0.5 for a Sedan (or Lark, Avanti) for dropping the steering tie rods.

Really this is all about the condition of this Engine, because it is counterproductive to do ONE of the above if the other will be needed later.

By the same token, it is a waste of time/money to do either if a Engine Overhaul or Rebuild, core plug replacement, clean and paint, etc. necessitating removal of the Engine from the car, is looming in the near future!

It would also help to know if the vehicle is a 6 or 8 Cyl. and a Truck or a Car and Coupe/Hardtop/Hawk, or Sedan/Lark, '64-'66 Lark Type or Avanti.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow!
      Too bad Turyota doesn't use that same time guide.
      Recently my wifes car needed brakes and their time guide was a total hose.
      $880.00 later she was a little bothered.
      When my wife gets bothered it's bad all around! WHeeew!
      I felt sorry for me much less them.

Can only imagine what an updated Studebaker Guide would be like, It's hard to find good help these days and guess who pays for it?

Dean.

Comment

If you ask a question , please state which engine and model year you are asking about.
        There a a plate on the firewall on the passenger side (LHC) under the hood.
        This gives us a lot of info about your pride and joy.
        This will make answering your question easier.
        When ordering parts have the serial number ,engine number and the info on this tag handy.
        Bob

Comment

I was referring to my 1963 Avanti. Engine has been performing well and in great condition. Thanks, Jay

Comment

Working...
          X