1st gear start Info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gear start Info needed

I have an auto. trans. that I was told was a 1st gear start, he thinks it is anyway. Is there someway to tell? Does the control valve body have a number. I have the pan off. Is there some other way. Like spring color on the oil control valve. Mine are greenish? Bob

55pres- Cascade Chapter Oregon

Hey Bob,
    I don't have my manual here handy. If you have one? Look at the exploited view of the 6cyl valve compared to the V/8 one. The 6's had the first gear start. (Trucks too) Someone might have installed the whole trans from a 6. They have internal differences. I recently bought a 289 out of a Hawk that had a 6cyl trans behind it.

Gordon

Comment

which manual? mine doesn't show a blow up of a 6 or 8. Just a typical view of the trans. Bob

Comment

Bob, the only way I know to I.D. it is to narrow down the possibilities, check for cooling line fittings on the right side, if they are there it COULD be a Truck, definitely a low gear start.

Also, if it is a long tail Trans. it can NOT be a Truck! [:0]

Somewhere there should be info on the nameplate paint color (they ARE coded) and model number on it also, I think it's in the Chassis Parts Catalog.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I read you other post on transmission I.D. and it is a 61-64-white tag (not a as8-35 or as30-35)Should be a Lark-Hawk second gear start. But the person I got the trans from said it was a first gear start. He has been known to do a little modifying. I was hoping that I could tell by numbers on the controller or some other way. Bob

Comment

Bob,
            I got my manual out. Its an original 59-60 shop manual. In the flightomatic section on the top of page 12 shows the 6cyl first gear start control valve. The top of page 13 has the V/8 control valve. Just to point out a few quick differences. Note that # 16 thru 20 on page 13 aren't in the 6 valve from page 12!The 2-1 shift valve spring ect.

Further on in the Trans section under Flightomatic-Overhaul procedures.
            Subassembly Dissasembly, Inspection and Reassembly on page 65 shows the 6cyl control valve in (fig 102). Then on page 69 is the V/8 valve in (fig 109).
            Hope this helps? If not I'll try to post a couple pics. I might have the #'s off the valves too.

Gordon

Comment

I found the answer. I have a 2nd gear start. Thanks I should have looked in all of my books. The answer was in the shop manual all the time. Must be getting old. Thanks again Bob

Comment

Good to hear you figured it out. I don't have a scanner or I would have sent it to you. There isn't much info here on the automatics. The manual is a great source.

Gordon

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by stehlik

I found the answer. I have a 2nd gear start. Thanks I should have looked in all of my books. The answer was in the shop manual all the time. Must be getting old. Thanks again Bob

Gordon,
                  the part number for the low speed takeoff valve body is #1540943 & matching governor head is #1541354. Studebaker International has both.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                  MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

One very annoying result from the 6cyl valve body conversion is a "teeth-jarring" abrupt down-shift to low gear at 20-25 mph. I experienced this driving a car, a 58 Golden Hawk, I had known of for years, but had never driven before this conversion was done. All other transmission functions were normal. I could see this problem could be detrimental to u-joints, diff. gears, etc. I don't know if there's a fix for this or not. Mabe someone else has seen and eliminated this condition. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Working...
                    X