50 Commander wheel bolt pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Commander wheel bolt pattern

Hey guys -- I did do a search on this but only found one answer and it was kinda iffy, so let me see if anyone can help conclusively... What is the wheel bolt pattern for a 50 Commander, and is it compatible with the ford 4 1/2 inch 5 lug pattern?

If so, great -- If not, is there a common swap to be able to mount more common bolt pattern rims? Thanks much.
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Can't remember if a its 4 3/4 (or 5 inch?) pattern, but it IS the same as mid-1960's Caddy and big Buick.

Comment

'50 Commanders are the same as 1/2 Ton Studebaker Truck, Chevy and Toyota.

[u]NOT</u> the same as '51-'66 Studebaker/Chrysler/Ford: 5 on 4 1/2 in. center.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not much into GM cars, but I looked up some rims that said GM 5 lug on 4 3/4. Is that the size that fits a 50 commander? I just want to be sure before I order anything. Thanks again.
        sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission

Comment

Well dont go get them to quickly.

My 50' commander has 4 1/2 in. center the ONLY thing I know of to fit is a trailer rims. You will have to have the hub hole made larger to accommodate the over sized hubs. They changed the rim size in 51' or 52' they will fit newer rims just fine. But the 50's are a bit different.

So in other words your kinda stuck with factory rims. Unless you spend some money for fixing the hub issue.

I have been looking for rims myself this is how I know all about this issue.

OOPS! Of course I didnt read all the posts Rich is right. Rich, I didnt know those rims would fit my car. Now I learned something.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
          18 years in the tattooing biz
          I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
          sigpic
          I'll Tattoo you anytime!
          And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
          Crazy Lady Ink
          Shakopee Mn.
          952-445-3281
          27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

I have a set of Buick rim on my 1950 Commander

Comment

Yup!

Comment

The bolt pattern for the '50 and earlier Commanders, as well as all 1/2 ton trucks 1941-64, is 5 bolts on a 5-inch bolt circle diameter. The 16" diameter rims were 4.5" wide on the trucks. However there are rims for the late '50s through '64 trucks that are 15" diameter and 6" wide. These should also fit your '50 Commander.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.
                '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks all -- Well it seems if the pattern is 5 bolts on a 5 inch circle, then I will be on factory rims for awhile. For options in the future though, are there any later 5 lug Studebaker hubs that are compatible with the Ford 4 1/2 or GM 4 3/4 bolt pattern that I can swap out on a 50 Commander? I would like to stay with Stude parts if I can. Thanks much.
                  sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission

Comment

DD

Don't forget that early 90's GM full size cars (Impala, Buick, Olds) used 5 on 5" rims. Can't speak for the center diameter though.

I have a pair of 91 Impala rims leaning on the pole barn if you need a center hole diameter.

Bob

Comment

Hmmmm, okay I actually found some new aluminum rims where the manufacturer says they will custom drill the lug holes to match the 5x5 pattern so that's not a problem, but I need to know how big the Stude hubs are to see if these rims will still work -- maybe there is enough material for them to enlarge the center hole a bit without weakening the wheel.

Thanks for the help guys -- I don't even have the car yet, but I am planning ahead.
                      sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                      Automatic transmission

Comment

I do not know if this would work, but on my pickup I had the hubs turnd down to fit chevy brake drums. Could you turn down the hubs so a newer wheel would fit

Comment

Update -- I was referred to check out these wheel adapters... http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../5500-5450.htm
                          If the inside diameter clears the stude hub, this may be another option.
                          sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                          Automatic transmission

Comment

Ok, I found out the adapters won't work -- the inside diameter is too small to clear the (I am told) 3 3/8" hub. Good news though is that the wheels can be custom drilled to fit. Whew! My next question -- if anyone is still interested -- would 7 inch wide rims fit the Commander alright, and what would be the ideal offset to request? I hear a bunch of you guys are in South Bend, but feel free to chime in if you get a break from all the fun.
                            sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                            Automatic transmission

Comment

Hey, I found my old thread from last year -- but no one answered the last question. Does anyone (this year!) know if 7 inch rims will fit on a 1950 Commander? I still want to purchase the aluminum rims I found if so. Thanks much!
                              sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                              Automatic transmission

Comment

Working...
                              X