1950 Champ OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champ OD

I have a 1950 Champion 4 door sedan, I took it to a shop to have an oil leak stopped. The found the Distributor was leaking through the vent hole on the lower side. They pulled the Distribtor and rebuilt it but every since the car will not shift up into cruise, Plus the car when you step down on the Excelorator it cuts out like the fuel pump is failing. It back fires and sputters but I have been lucky enough to nurse it back home from about five miles away.
    Is it the Electrical or fuel Pump And would that have anything to do with the OD not shifting when it is in OD?
    Thank You for your knowledge and replies.

Raymond F. Pittam

The guy who put it back together didn't get the cut out wire hooked up right. I've slept since I've been under the hood of my 50, but I know there's a wire which is used to short out the ignition for a second when it shifts into/outof overdrive. The repair shop probably isn't familiar w/ overdrive set ups. Check your shop manual, i think it will show you where the wire is supposed to go.

at least that's my guess.
    Mike Sal

Comment

If the shop replaced the wire inside the distributor, make sure there is a loop of extra wire when it is at rest. I put a wire in mine once and made it too short for the vacuum advance to work properly. This caused some weird problems until I discovered my mistake.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
      X