Brake conversion 64 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake conversion 64 Daytona

I recently changed the front drum brakes on my 64 Daytona to disc. . From the very beginning it has created problems. First I changed the master cylinder to a unit that replaced the old unit in the car, brakes to the floor. Next step, I changed the rear wheel cylinders and added a 10# residual valve to hold pressure, pedal still goes to floor, and only holds after pumping the mc. This is not a power assist brake system. What am I missing? Do I need a mc with more throw? If so which one should I use?

I, too, am interested in the answer. But just wanted to say what a beautiful car and an "R" car to boot! WoW.

Mark

Comment

If you have no pedal you must still have air in the system somewhere, time to bleed brakes again.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

did you put in a preportioning valve in the rear line?

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        1966 Daytona
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Gorgeous car. Anthony; congrats!

My initial reaction is that you did not properly and thoroughly bench-bleed the new master cylinder before installing it. If that is not done correctly, you'll never "get" a pedal with the unit in the car. [8D]BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

No proportioning valve but I did put a 10 # residual valve. A proportioning valve shouldn't make it go to the floor, wouldn't that just pressure to the front disc, still got to pump to get it stopped.

Comment

Thought it was bench bled pretty good, I'll try it again.

Comment

Check the adjustment between the M/C and the linkage, if you have too much play, you'll have a low pedal and poor brakes
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

there is no adjustment on the daytona. the throw rod is a fixed length

Comment

If running the stock single M/C, you'll need to defeat the built in residual check valve. If running a dual M/C, you'll need to cut the linkage a little bit short, drill & tap the end and use a button head allen to "fine tune" the adjustmant.
                    That's what I did on the 62 Daytona ragtop I sold.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

car came stock with a dual m/c. we changed it to an aftermarket one. did not have built in residual valves. i checked it. thats why we added a 10# inline to the rears. almost seems like the throw is wrong on the linkage. i know someone has run into this problem before. wish we could find a rebuild kit for the stock cyl, so i can eliminate the possibility of having the wrong cyl. rebleeding it helped some. but still going to floor. if you pump the brakes it will hold. but if you let it sit for a few seconds it looses pressure. thats what made me think residual valve. but after installing it and it not changing anything, i am thinking the rod to m/c isnt long enough to get a full stroke and not building up enough pressure to hold

Comment

OR... the master Cyl. piston is not returning all the way, blocking the "Bleed Port" and not allowing the air to bleed out! [:0]

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

what would cause it to not open all the way? wrong cylinder for rod length? or it needs to be taken off and completely re-bled?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by struckinc

what would cause it to not open all the way? wrong cylinder for rod length? or it needs to be taken off and completely re-bled?
                            Yes, since there were no Dual Master Cyl. for Disk brakes on Studebakers, there also was no push rod the correct length. An AMC, Dodge or whatever requires a special length push rod as Jim Turner explained.

StudeRich
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another possibility is you have some low friction calipers that need a 'quick take-up' master cylinder. There was something on the forum last summer about this...only applies to gm intermediate body calipers such as Turner conversion uses. Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X