overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive

Last year I purchased a 1957 Parkview wagon. I havnt driven it a lot so I am still getting to know the car. One thing I have noticed is that it does not feel like it is coming out of everdrive. When I slow down I do hear the click but I cant tell any differance in speed or revs. The same when I speed up, Clicks but cannot fel any change. The reason I think it might be stuck in overdrive is the car comfortably runs 55-60mph with the overdrive lever pulled out our pushed in.
    How do I check for sure and what is the fix. Thanks

This subject has been thoroughly discussed in the Technical Forum. Do a search on OverDrive.

As to your situation; it sounds like your O.D. isn't engaging at all. You shouldn't be able to move the lever once it's engaged. When you let off the accelerator, does the engine rev down like it's in gear, or does it just drop to idle. In otherwords, does the engine still have a load on it? If not, your Overdrive is engaged. If so, then it is not. Likely, the govenour is not engaging. Check your wiring and make sure the ground is good from your battery. It sounds like your solonoid and Govenour aren't properly wired or disconnected. I.I.R.R. there is a wire attaching on the - side of the coil that powers the unit. Is that connected?

Being that a Parkview (Commander) is a V8, it will comfortably cruise at sixty M.P.H. Once in OverDrive, it will comfortably cruise at seventy. One place that you can find if the OverDrive is engaged is on somewhat steep hills. In that case, does the car labour? The slippage is very noticeable on hills when OverDrive is engaged. You will have to push the car to maintain speed. Not drastically, just noticeably.

When you pull the lever out, it dis-engages the OverDrive. This will be impossible if the O.D. is engaged. Only two things will allow the dis-engagement of the lever, stopping or full application of the accelerator pedal (flooring it). The latter is to allow passing. The former is the normal way of dis-engaging the OverDrive system. If you can pull out and push in the lever whilst driving, then your Overdrive isn't engaging. Otherwise, when dis-engaging the O.D. whilst moving (without flooring it), there will be a frightening grinding sound.[:0][B)] Provided, of course, you can even get the lever to move.

Good luck with that Parkview! I love my '56.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

With the handle pulled out, there is no overdrive possible, no freewheeling available at any speed.

With it pushed in, if you rev up in first gear then let off the gas, it should coast. If not, something's wrong. Once you get above 30 mph, and let off the gas, it should click and without giving it gas you should feel the drag of the engine.

Once you have determined what happens with the handle pushed in, get back to us and we can advise you.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

One simple thing to check is if the handle cable is working. There is a small lever on the drivers side of the transmission with the cable attached to it. With the handle out, the lever should be at about a 45 degree angle to the front of the car. With the handle pushed in, the lever should be at about a 45 degree angle to the rear of the car.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I am for sure that the push pull lever is working and that it pushes all the way back against the stop. I also took the solonoid off and hooked it up to a battery and it worked fine. I will have to try the coasting test when I get home.

Comment

If you are hearing a click, that would indicate to me that both the governor and solenoid are working.

Make absolutely sure that the lockout lever is right back against the rear stop, or it may not engage overdrive. Very important.

If you can't get free wheeling below OD cut-in speed, you won't get overdrive. With the lockout handle pushed in, you should be able to accelerate to say, 15 MPH, and let off the throttle, and hear the engine drop right back to idle while the car continues to coast along at 15 MPH. (best to try this on a slight downgrade) If the coasting car continues to drive the engine at the same RPM as was used to accelerate to 15 MPH, then the free wheeling feature isn't working. The lockout lever not being fully back against the stop will cause this; if that's not the case, I'd suspect some internal problems with the OD unit. Parts are readily available.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

With the handle pulled out, there is no overdrive possible, no freewheeling available at any speed.
              Ah, you're right! I had it backwards. Well, to quote Willie Wonka, "Wait-a-minit! Reverse that!"

Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If OD is engaged, it shouldn't go into reverse.

"Oppurtunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Comment

quote:Originally posted by D Davis

Last year I purchased a 1957 Parkview wagon. I havnt driven it a lot so I am still getting to know the car.
                  Any chance I could get you to send me Registry info [?] [?] [?]
                  (studedavesregistry 'at' sbcglobal.net)

Thanks so much!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

the only thing I have had a chance to check is if it free wheels or not. It does not. When I got my 51 Champion the overdrive did not work. I down loaded the diagnostics from Bob Johnsonson page and got it working. On this 57 wagon I thought it was stuck in overdrive so I didnt check the stuck out of overdrive symptoms. That falls in the ole not seeing the forest for the trees saying.

Comment

Working...
                    X