PDA

View Full Version : Check your Area Codes

Captain Billy
04-29-2010, 07:24 AM
I recieved a phone call last evening, the gentleman had seen my name in reference to an event my wife and I are hosting for the Ontario Chapter in the TW "What's Happening" section, all good so far. He is a non-member who is looking to change that and the focus of his desire is to buy a 59-61 lark wagon. He will be attending the International meet and other local shows, I suggested he become a member as TW is a great resource for his search, I also suggested he get on line here to advance his search, so do welcome him should he appear.
His plan, I suppose, was to attend our Studebaker event to start the engagement process.....except....Ontario Canada has a different area code than Ontario California.....oops

I do hope he finds the right car....there can't be too many Wagons.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z252/caprisx/Rutland09008.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z252/caprisx/StAndrews07159.jpg

Bill Foy
Kingston, Ontario
1964 Wagonaire Slider

Skip Lackie
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Reminds me of a great trivia question that few people can answer:
Q: "What are the only two countries that share a telephone country code?"

A: Canada and the US share the shortest country code: "1".

I guess we can thank Ma Bell for that.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

StudeRich
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Canada and the US share the shortest country code: "1".

One (1) is a COUNTRY CODE? [:0]

First I have ever heard of that! I guess you have to actually have been in another Country and tried to call the U.S. or Canada to know that! :D

StudeRich

JGK 940
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
quote:
One (1) is a COUNTRY CODE? [:0]

Yup: http://countrycode.org/

quote:

I guess you have to actually have been in another Country and tried to call the U.S. or Canada to know that! :D

Or had friends overseas who liked to talk a lot ;)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

StudeDave57
04-29-2010, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by JGK 940

Or had friends overseas who liked to talk a lot ;) Keoni
Or maybe a son deployed/stationed overseas... [:0] [B)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]

55s
04-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Very interesting, Bill.

I also talked to a very nice person who had read about the Ontario Chapter's 37th Swap Meet in Turning Wheels, had seen it before, and was now planning to come.

We talked about the roads for a while, each trying to figure out where the other person was coming from in order to give directions.

Sure enough, after a minute or two, we discovered we were on opposite sides of the continent! Surprise.

Skip Lackie
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Telephone area code trivia:
The area code and country code system was designed in the mid-1950s by AT&T, several years before any US/Canadian phone got direct distance dialing, and about 30 years before the technology matured enough to allow us to call beyond North America without going through an operator. The original area codes all had a 1 or a 0 as the second digit to tell the vacuum-tube electronics that it was an area code and not a local phone number. Since the touch tone phone hadn't been introduced, areas with a lot of phones got area codes that were quick to dial. (New York City got the shortest with 212, LA and Chicago got the next shortest ones with 213 and 312 -- Alaska got the one with the most dial clicks -- 907. 908 and 909 weren't used at first.) It didn't take long before the phone system ran out of area codes, so the system had to be expanded to allow any number to be the second digit of an area code. This forced us North Americans to put the country code 1 in the front so the system could identify the next three digits as an area code. But it also allowed the assignment of unique country codes to each of the Caribbean islands, instead of sharing the same US area code: 1 plus a three-digit number (ie, their numbers are really a subordinate part of the US coding system).

Okay, back to Studebakers. Sorry for the diversion.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

warrlaw1
04-30-2010, 08:40 AM
I call my mother from Mexico just to let her know I'm OK when I'm down there. If you do it from a payphone and use 001, then the area code, it's fast and cheap. If you go through a hotel operator or international operator, look out. It costs more than a gasket kit for a 259:)