Strange Wiper Motor Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Wiper Motor Problem

While driving the 62 Hawk on I-49 to pick up my granson from school yesterday and with not a cloud in the sky, my windshield wipers started working. The switch was off,, so I moved the switch from on to off several times and the wipers finally stopped, though not in the same parking spot each time. When I got back into town, the wipers would start working again if I hit a bump on the street... though not all the time! I suspect a parking problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what was done to remedy it?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Something is grounding somehwere. The motor is always 'powered' and is switched on and off by grounding and ungrounding. Check for a wire touching the dash frame at the switch or through the firewall, etc.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

My 62 GT does that once in a while but they only make one swipe and then park again in the proper spot. Happens when I hit a chuckhole.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you have the Autolite/Presolite type motor you can try adjusting the park position switch. I had this problem and solved it by adjusting the park position on the motor until it stopped which was a quarter of the way up the windshield, then pulled linkage lever off motor and repositioning it so wipers were at the bottom of travel. I have a set of boat motors(overhead wipers) on my old Dodge truck which when warmed up after a little
        use will not shut off. The park contacts must warp and will not break contact.

Comment

I'd be looking at your switch 1st . I had the same thing happen on my '60 Champ and it turned out to be the contacts in the switch . I took it apart and cleaned it all up inside and its never happened again .

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
          "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          1966 Daytona
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I second the idea to check the park position switch, if something conductive got in there (or one of the contacts broke and there's a metal bit floating around in there) that would certainly explain the problem.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I've had this problem for years in my '59 Silver Hawk! Thanks for all the great tips.

Carson72

'59 Silver Hawk
              '62 Lark 2-door Sedan

Comment

I've had this problem for years in my '59 Silver Hawk! Thanks for all the great tips.

Carson72

'59 Silver Hawk
                '62 Lark 2-door Sedan

Comment

Working...
                X