PDA

View Full Version : What size torque conv. to use with 289to350turbo?

icobra2ford
02-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Can anybody suggest what stall I need to use for my combo? 1962 289 heavy duty (with valve rotators/allum cam gear)bored 40 over,cam was re-ground in the 1970s TO A 3/4 OR (FULL RACE)style. 4 BARREL AFB. No other mods that I know of. I will be putting a turbo 350 behind this engine. What do I need for a stall conver. for this setup? Would a stock convert. be sufficient or would a higher stall be better? The gear ratio I am running in back is 308.:)

53 STARLINER,78 AVANTI II,40 FORD COUPE

Kdancy
02-25-2007, 12:38 PM
You can give the specs to the torque convertor company and they will advise you on the proper stall speed for your use. I just had one re-built and they asked for the specs before re-building.

StudeRich
02-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Well I think the question needs to be: WHAT stock converter! Is a 289 Stude. more like a 283, 305, 327, 350 or 400 ? I can tell you this, it has in the area of 305 Ft.Lbs. of Torque, possibly more with the mods! more than most smaller Chevy's! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

DEEPNHOCK
02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Here you go...
http://tinyurl.com/32qkto
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/bmm-20400.jpg
(text copy)
Get a stronger launch.
A higher-than-stock stall speed as delivered by these B&M Holeshot converters will provide several advantages and benefits to vehicles with modified engines. Many modifications, particularly big cams, tend to reduce low-end power and torque. These high-stall converters allow the engine to launch the car at higher rpm, where more torque is available. They're a very good choice for the typical street machine that is looking for better launch capability and more strength.

This one is 2000 rpm stall, which you can flash to, say 2300 rpm or so...
$175.95
You can go higher, but you might not like that with everyday driving.
(You never said which Stude you were putting it in, or what kind of driving/racing you planned on doing)
Make sure you put a big external trans cooler in, as these will make your trans fluid temp run hotter.
Also note that your use of valve rotators will lower your upper RPM threshold, as they are heavier than a stock retainer. That might narrow your useful RPM band, and make your choice of rear end gears more critical. A 3.08 rear is an awfully high ratio (low number) for performance street driving (unless you are on the salt flats;)).. You will not gain a whole lot of 'out of the hole' with that ratio and a just a high stall torque converter swap.
Hope the info helps.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by icobra2ford

Can anybody suggest what stall I need to use for my combo? 1962 289 heavy duty (with valve rotators/allum cam gear)bored 40 over,cam was re-ground in the 1970s TO A 3/4 OR (FULL RACE)style. 4 BARREL AFB. No other mods that I know of. I will be putting a turbo 350 behind this engine. What do I need for a stall conver. for this setup? Would a stock convert. be sufficient or would a higher stall be better? The gear ratio I am running in back is 308.:)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

jjones
02-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I had Hughes Converters spec a converter for my warmed up 259/TH350--they recommended a 2000 stall GM20. It works well in my M5 truck, and has for a few years. $135.95 + shipping in the December Summit catalogue, probably around the same from a local speed shop. Either the Hughes or the B&M 2000 stall converter recommended above should work for you.

jj

icobra2ford
02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
The engine and trans is going in a 53 starliner. This will be a mostly street driven car. Thanks for the help!!!!!