HELP! Manuals etc. no help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Manuals etc. no help!

I have looked in both the regular manual and the more extensive one and I cannot figure out what the trick is to getting my back side windows back into my 1950 Champion 2-door sedan. I did get one in but the "guides" were not in the grooves and I had to take the window back out. I can get the window in, but cannot get the guides and the "arm" connected. Thanks to anyone who can give me some help.

Jimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

Jimmie, I may not be much help as I have a four-door, so haven't installed rear windows in a 2-door. I have the Shop Manual and the instructions in it were a great help to me when I removed and re-installed my windows. If one of the manuals you have is not the Shop manual, I would suggest you get it.

Now for my dumb questions.

If by 'guides' you mean the metal/whisker channel that fits into the body frame, that should just jam into the frame. If it doesn't stay there, I can only imagine that its' outside measurement is too small which means you might have the wrong channel.

Is the 'arm' the regulator lift arm? Make sure the regulator is wound down so the sliding pivot of the lift is just barely above the regulator gear. Lower the window glass (with the lift channel attached to the glass) and align the front of the lift channel into the window run, then rest the glass/lift channel on the regulato and align the rear of the lift channel to the window run. Then adjust the regulator mounting (the bolts should still be slightly loose) so it is correct with the window alignment in the runs. Then insert the regulator pins into the lift channel.

Hope this helps, but I'm not sure it will. Good luck.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Jimmie, I may not be much help as I have a four-door, so haven't installed rear windows in a 2-door. I have the Shop Manual and the instructions in it were a great help to me when I removed and re-installed my windows. If one of the manuals you have is not the Shop manual, I would suggest you get it.

Now for my dumb questions.

If by 'guides' you mean the metal/whisker channel that fits into the body frame, that should just jam into the frame. If it doesn't stay there, I can only imagine that its' outside measurement is too small which means you might have the wrong channel.

Is the 'arm' the regulator lift arm? Make sure the regulator is wound down so the sliding pivot of the lift is just barely above the regulator gear. Lower the window glass (with the lift channel attached to the glass) and align the front of the lift channel into the window run, then rest the glass/lift channel on the regulato and align the rear of the lift channel to the window run. Then adjust the regulator mounting (the bolts should still be slightly loose) so it is correct with the window alignment in the runs. Then insert the regulator pins into the lift channel.

Hope this helps, but I'm not sure it will. Good luck.

Thanks for taking timne to try and help me. The window mechanism for the back windows in the sedan is similar but different than the front door windows which are most likely like your back door windows.
      However, you may be able to help me with a couple of things:
      1. How do I know when to tighten up the regulator bolts?
      2. Should the metal/whisker channel be installed first or after the window is in place.
      3. I tried measuring for the channel and cutting to that length and it was too short. If it does not reach all the way to the bottom of the metal that holds it, will it matter?
      I do have the shop manual and it is no help regarding the rear windows. The guides I spoke of are metal pieces which stick out on each end of the metal frame at the bottom of the glass. There is a groove in which they are to slide in to keep the window in place.

Jimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana

Comment

1. When the pins are inserted into the lift channel and the glass is aligned with the opening for straight sliding.
        2. First, before the window glass. It is a totally different step. Has nothing to do with the glass.
        3. I don't think the whisker channel has to go as far down as the glass does. I don't think mine does, seems like it goes 6 or so inches. But don't quote me on that measurement. Those metal guides that extend down into the body panel DO have to be aligned with the edge of the glass when in the 'down' position.

Comment

On page 72 of my body parts catalog, it shows those guides extending down at least as far as the window glass lowers. It does not show the whisker inserts, but I wouldn't see any problem with 2 choices. One, the whiskers extend down a few inches further than the glass movement. Two, the whiskers extend the length of the guides.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

On page 72 of my body parts catalog, it shows those guides extending down at least as far as the window glass lowers. It does not show the whisker inserts, but I wouldn't see any problem with 2 choices. One, the whiskers extend down a few inches further than the glass movement. Two, the whiskers extend the length of the guides.

Thank you for the information. I know that most of my questions have simple logical answers, but I have been so frustrated the last few days working on these windows and ruining the channel and scratching my new paint that I have reached a point of not trusting myself. I should have taped something over the paint but didn't realize that I might touch it, putting the window in. From now on, I am going to be more careful about protecting my paint!!
            Thanks again, and if you get any more ideas, please don't hesitate to pass them on to me. I know that this should be a simple installation and at some point, it will all come together. I prayed about it some more this morning and this will help me.

Jimmie

Jimmie
            Orange County, Indiana
            sigpicJimmie
            Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Working...
            X