My 62V-Y4 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 62V-Y4 Project

I was checking my parts cars for things I could use on my Marshal or my '59 and decided I still had enough left to put a '62 back together. It's nothing fancy, just a Y4 with a 259 automatic and not much else. The first two shots are what I'm starting with and the next two are my first couple days progress.

The rear fenders, front clip and some floor/structure patches from my Cruiser will replace some rusty parts on this one. If the Cruiser didn't have the glass broken out, no usable interior and a rotten trunk floor, I may have fixed it up instead.

At first I thought I'd have to use the cloverleaf engine from my '61, because this one has been stuck for as long as I've had it (about 14 years). When I first got it, I juiced up the cylinders and tried to get it free, but after breaking off a tooth on the flywheel I gave up. This week I removed the heads and rattled the top of the pistons with my air hammer for a few seconds, the PB blaster did it's job and it came free fairly easily, so I should be able to use the original engine.

The top end is very clean and shows very little wear, so I believe the 56K on the odometer is correct. I'm hoping to get this car going without spending a bunch of money, so low mileage parts will help. I plan on staying with it and getting it together this summer, I'll update with my progress.

Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM.
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Don't be too surprised if a 1963 GT Hawk pulls up to your house this fall. I just might show up to see what's going on there.

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
    In the middle of Minnestudea
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Don't be too surprised if a 1963 GT Hawk pulls up to your house this fall. I just might show up to see what's going on there.
      Anytime Brent, I can always use help pushing Larks around.
      Still hoping to make a road trip to your neck of the woods sometime, too.[8D]

Skinny
      Watertown, SD

Comment

If you come this week I'll be gracious and let you time the ignition and set the dwell of the points on my Hawk before I head to South Bend next week. By the way, are you going to the South Bend meet?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I like your plan skinny, but then I'm prejudiced... love them redicallus-lookin 62s[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
          Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

Sorry Brent, probably won't make it over there before you go, but we can sure tune on them when I do. Not sure about South Bend yet, I'd like to make it because Arizona's not in the cards this year. If I go, I'd like to swing through Milwaukee and find the "radio" building where the pictures of the '60 Marshals were taken.

I know what you mean Bob, those '62s kind of grow on you after a while. Sure wish you were closer, I'd get that '59 2dr and that rolled '61 out of your way, so you could add more '62's to your collection.

Here's a couple pics showing some of my clean-up and why I decided to save it. The first one shows the rear floors, not too bad, just needs some work around the pillars. The second shows the trunk floor, pretty nice, that will help a lot.[8D]

Comment

Sweet! I love '62 4 doors, glad to see another one saved!

Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Quick question. Is this car really a Y-4 body? As I understood it; ALL '62 4 door sedans were on the Y-6 cruiser wheel base. Thats what ours is, so I'm a little confused! Can someone clear this up for me?

Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Ah yes... memories of my lil' Sweetie who went to Michigan. Now I wish she hadn't gone... That's what I get for not moving to Charlotte.[V]

Yours is a really neat car. Thanks for sharing the process. Perhaps I can vicariously enjoy your getting her back on the road, too? Still, it makes me miss lil' ol' Sweetie that much more. She truely lived up to her name..

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Quick question. Is this car really a Y-4 body? As I understood it; ALL '62 4 door sedans were on the Y-6 cruiser wheel base. Thats what ours is, so I'm a little confused! Can someone clear this up for me?
                    Yes, it's a Y-4 Deluxe, the Y-6 is a Regal and the Y-8 is a Cruiser. All have the same 113" wheelbase for '62. My Deluxe has the horn button without the bars and rubber floor mats, not carpeting. It is however a V8 automatic car with reclining seats, seat belts, two visors, front and rear window trim and a Motorola radio set-up.[8D]

Comment

Thanks for the clear up!

Sounds like a great car! I sure wish ours would be back on the road this year. I'm being optomistic about being back on the road next summer, but we shall see![8D]

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Yes, it's a Y-4 Deluxe, the Y-6 is a Regal and the Y-8 is a Cruiser. All have the same 113" wheelbase for '62. My Deluxe has the horn button without the bars and rubber floor mats, not carpeting. It is however a V8 automatic car with reclining seats, seat belts, two visors, front and rear window trim and a Motorola radio set-up.[8D]
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Yours is a really neat car. Thanks for sharing the process. Perhaps I can vicariously enjoy your getting her back on the road, too?
                        Thanks Ron, you sure can. I hope to have many updates in the next few weeks, I've got a lot of things to get done this summer, so I need to keep working at them.[8D]

Comment

thanks Scott! I have a weakness for the '62-'63 sedans. They're just right in my not-so-humble-opinion (LOL)!

I know the feeling, Dylan. Bess is still down and right now, so's Ed. I've been largely Studee-less for over a year now. Well... drivers that is. However, things are coming back into line to get back on the road again!

Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thats great to hear! [8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

thanks Scott! I have a weakness for the '62-'63 sedans. They're just right in my not-so-humble-opinion (LOL)!

I know the feeling, Dylan. Bess is still down and right now, so's Ed. I've been largely Studee-less for over a year now. Well... drivers that is. However, things are coming back into line to get back on the road again!

Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Dylan Wills
                            Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Scraped off about 10 pounds of dirt and grease from the front frame and engine this afternoon. Removed the block drains and soft plugs, then flushed out the block. Cleaned off the block deck, pistons and cylinders, so it's ready for the heads. I just need to take the heads apart to check the guides, clean them up and install some new seals.

I had old fuel pumping out of the open line and oil flowing from just 1/4 turns of the crank while moving the pistons. Hopefully this means the fuel tank is OK and I'll have good oil pressure.[8D]

Comment

Working...
                              X